Anubias Dying

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve noticed my Anubias leaves yellowing, browning, and then dying, like so:
A7975926-F569-4EE4-B468-A6E2F231EA22.jpegB7C96C58-57EA-42F4-864D-442DF88EC7AD.jpeg
It’s my first plant and I’ve been growing it for a few years, so I’d rather not lose the whole thing. The rhizome looks good, not rotting or anything.
Background info:
Ph - 7.5
Light is a fluval aquasky, on at full strength for about 10 hours.
I dose flourish once a week and excel every other day.
Thanks in advance!

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I'm no expert, but I've found in my tanks anubias do better with less light.. I try to place the light in the front and the plants in the back to avoid too much direct light.. I also use aquasky, 12 hours a day but peak at about 68%...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I'm no expert, but I've found in my tanks anubias do better with less light.. I try to place the light in the front and the plants in the back to avoid too much direct light.. I also use aquasky, 12 hours a day but peak at about 68%...
I was thinking that light intensity may be the problem. It’s tough because I have some high light plants in there too. Maybe I can try getting the hornwort to grow only over the Anubias…

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was thinking that light intensity may be the problem. It’s tough because I have some high light plants in there too. Maybe I can try getting the hornwort to grow only over the Anubias…
Try cutting back a couple of hours of light. I agree bkfamus bkfamus .

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Is that gonna mess with my sword and Val?

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Another possibility is to have floating plants that provide some shadowing to the Anubias. The floating plants can themselves be 'corralled', so they don't move to places you don't want them.
The photo below shows a mat of Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze' a plant that prefers to grow in the shadow of others, in this case under a frog bit corral (second photo). One can see that the Crypts towards the outside of the shaded area grow less well than those with more shade.
Full disclosure - This tank has lights on from 7am-10pm every day, but on weekdays, a 'siesta' (1-3pm) reduces somewhat the photoperiod. Tank is a standard 75g, and lights are a 48" Finnex Fuge-ray Planted.
Good luck!

IMG_0377 Crop.jpg

IMG_0372 Crop.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Another possibility is to have floating plants that provide some shadowing to the Anubias. The floating plants can themselves be 'corralled', so they don't move to places you don't want them.
The photo below shows a mat of Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze' a plant that prefers to grow in the shadow of others, in this case under a frog bit corral (second photo). One can see that the Crypts towards the outside of the shaded area grow less well than those with more shade.
Full disclosure - This tank has lights on from 7am-10pm every day, but on weekdays, a 'siesta' (1-3pm) reduces somewhat the photoperiod. Tank is a standard 75g, and lights are a 48" Finnex Fuge-ray Planted.
Good luck!

View attachment 1482506

View attachment 1482509
Great suggestion.

Reactions: bkfamus and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Good luck!

View attachment 1482506

View attachment 1482509
Great idea!
I started getting lazy with removing hornwort (and don’t want to accidentally pick up molly fry), so that’s starting to grow in on the top. It’s starting to shade the Anubias.
I also slid the light over so that the Anubias is more in the shade, hopefully that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store