anubias's leaves are rotting

aquatigerkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
France
hello i hope that everyone is save during the lockdown
i have a quiet big issue with my anubias giant, when i bought it on a plastic bag with high humidity, when i submerged it the leafs start to rot and than it got better but resently the liefs restarted to rot i figured that must be due to the low quality of the light on so i desided to place in a water top on my balconi for having a natural sun light. ( the sun does not light directly the plant).
the condition of the lief are just getting worst do you have any idea or treatement that i can do for ?
looking forwards to your answers. kind regards
IMG_20200417_014911.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It may have been grown out of the water. Once it’s submerged then the leafs usually die off. I’d tie it to a rock or drift wood and place back in ur fish tank. Don’t need direct light and will need nutrients from the water column. The fish waste will help provide a source of nutrients. All the leaves may die off but should regrow. I’d also trim back the leafs that are dead.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

aquatigerkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
France
thanks for your answer i took of the plant from the tank because i was scared that may ruin the water quality but i will try again and observe.
thank you for your kindess.
kind regards

Reactions: tlindsey

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like above water growth. Just keep checking the rhyzome. If it's soft, throw it away. I found out the painful way that if one starts to rot like that, it's contagious to the rest of the Anubias will die off and whatever caused it tends to stick around for a long while. It won't hurt fish, but any new Anubias will rot away once you've encountered Anubias Rot.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

aquatigerkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
France
thank you for your answers actually the lief never stop to rot since i put it in the tank but it's got worst and worst buythe time i don't very expect that it's will recover so i will just wait and see.
thank you for your thoughts.
kind regards

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I had an anubias that all the leaves got rotted away, but the ribosome were still there so new leaves were growing back.

Reactions: kno4te

aquatigerkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
France
yes thank you i just cuted of all the leafs. i will try to keep you uptade about the grow but as a slow growing plants its will take time :)
best regards

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Looks like above water growth. Just keep checking the rhyzome. If it's soft, throw it away. I found out the painful way that if one starts to rot like that, it's contagious to the rest of the Anubias will die off and whatever caused it tends to stick around for a long while. It won't hurt fish, but any new Anubias will rot away once you've encountered Anubias Rot.
I cannot believe how resisiant the rhizomes are. I have had pieces a 1/2in long break off and come back without any leaves what so ever. As long a the rhizomes are in good shape it will recover. The leaves seem to give a "false" sense of health of these plants, rhizomes hold the secrets.

aquatigerkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2020
France
thanks for your answers i just cuted of the liefs and there just this little rhizome left.
what du you think should i cut more shorter ?
looking fowards for your answer :)IMG_20200421_033705.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store