Any advice fellow keepers?

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Petco likes to mislabel...
Piranhas do have vegetarian tendencies. Mine ate plastic plants.
This is very true I once kept a group of 12 RBP together and although they loved meat they used to go mad for boiled broccoli and other such greens.

As far as putting an Oscar in there as well I wouldn't recommend it, I had one RBP that was an arse and would push the others around a bit, never caused any damage was just bossy. Well I was having a beer one night and happen to look at my tank just in time to see nearly all the other RBP converge on that bully and destroy him. He was gone in seconds just a cloud in the water.

They would make short work of an Oscar.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
With my solo I could turn around and find something dead when I looked back a second later. Killing machines.
This was when he was 3 inches and still with other fish.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I have 3 Juvenile Red Belly Piranhas about 4 Month old would you reckon I could put a Tiger Oscar in there and successfully keep them all together?
i keep a mix pygo shoal and mix wolf fish species.. i mean no one can say it cant be done.. but as for piranhas they like to bite fins And bully.. u might be able to keep an Oscar with them but he won’t be pretty and expect bite wounds... oscars are tough but they will be at the bottom of the pecking order and will be the first to go once the pack senses it’s stressed out and wounded. Look through Bearski methods videos, he kept one with his pack but eventually removed it.I believe his tank was big(220g) so the Oscar prolly had room to run around whenever it got bullied. Btw why put an Oscar in there? I mean why an Oscar.. do something crazier that can fight back like a Dovii or a malabaricus..just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
this is really surprising but i cant help but wonder if you really had a piranha considering theres so many species that look almost identical to a rbp and it ate vegetables. seems like piranha relatives are commonly mislabled after all my first school of silver dollars turned out to be piranhas.
Mr djsalty nuts- it’s comments like these that rub some folks the wrong way. Similar to the op who got cranky with you. I don’t know how many piranhas you have personally owned and don’t really care tbh. You think you know what you are talking about, but anyone who knows anything about piranhas knows they also eat a portion of vegetable matter both in the wild and in home aquaria.

with all due respect either do more research before acting like you know everything or let someone who actually knows what they are talking about answer the question. Feel free to tag someone who knows the answer. I understand you are young and really want to help out, but no one likes a teenage know it all.

I don’t typically claim to know much, but I have spent hundreds of hours researching piranhas since before I even owned any. When I first started keeping piranhas there were only a few sp available. And by the time I was in high school had already kept close to 20 different piranhas. And guess what- I hardly know a thing about them, but I can make some educated speculations.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here but I feel insulted when I was backing up your point and you come at me like I’m an idiot or something.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Mr djsalty nuts- it’s comments like these that rub some folks the wrong way. Similar to the op who got cranky with you. I don’t know how many piranhas you have personally owned and don’t really care tbh. You think you know what you are talking about, but anyone who knows anything about piranhas knows they also eat a portion of vegetable matter both in the wild and in home aquaria.

with all due respect either do more research before acting like you know everything or let someone who actually knows what they are talking about answer the question. Feel free to tag someone who knows the answer. I understand you are young and really want to help out, but no one likes a teenage know it all.

I don’t typically claim to know much, but I have spent hundreds of hours researching piranhas since before I even owned any. When I first started keeping piranhas there were only a few sp available. And by the time I was in high school had already kept close to 20 different piranhas. And guess what- I hardly know a thing about them, but I can make some educated speculations.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here but I feel insulted when I was backing up your point and you come at me like I’m an idiot or something.
soundin like u still got some salt in yo mouth.

i didnt mean to offend i was more just surprised or genuinely curious about the situation. i skimmed your reply and read it as 7 rbp and the most surprising part to me was that you weren’t constantly seeing nips and wounds with 7 piranha in a community tank not the vegetables. non aggressive piranhas that went crazy for vegetables sound like pacu considering a pacu could also take off half the face off a parrot and eat feeders as well so i wasnt purposefully patronizing you. again the lack of nippiness you described was the most curious part to me.

questioning something is hardly a statement. i came to the thread to make what i still believe is very valid statement about putting piranhas with oscars. i dont need to know a ton about piranhas to make the statement anyway ik enough about oscars to say it with confidence. the oscar would be bullied to death, jump out of the tank, take serious injury, face allot of potential infection, and unable to defend itself. this is not to say it’s impossible its just improbable and most likely not worth trying for the sake of the oscar.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
soundin like u still got some salt in yo mouth.

i didnt mean to offend i was more just surprised or genuinely curious about the situation. i skimmed your reply and read it as 7 rbp and the most surprising part to me was that you weren’t constantly seeing nips and wounds with 7 piranha in a community tank not the vegetables. non aggressive piranhas that went crazy for vegetables sound like pacu considering a pacu could also take off half the face off a parrot and eat feeders as well so i wasnt purposefully patronizing you. again the lack of nippiness you described was the most curious part to me.

questioning something is hardly a statement. i came to the thread to make what i still believe is very valid statement about putting piranhas with oscars. i dont need to know a ton about piranhas to make the statement anyway ik enough about oscars to say it with confidence. the oscar would be bullied to death, jump out of the tank, take serious injury, face allot of potential infection, and unable to defend itself. this is not to say it’s impossible its just improbable and most likely not worth trying for the sake of the oscar.
I think if you read the first 1-2 sentences you will see that there was 1 seven inch piranha with multiple other species housed together including pacu. Which should indicate that I would know the difference between the two fish right off the bat.

I should not have posted my previous comment, but unfortunately it is too late. I’m sorry

pm sent so we don’t need to derail this thread any farther.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store