Any harm in adding the substrate later?

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
I just recently bought a new aquarium, a small size upgrade from my current one. I ordered some sand for it, but the sand wont arrive for another week. Can I get the fish and everything moved now to the new aquarium and add the sand when it arrives? Or is it better to add the sand before filling it?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s easier to add prior to the fish and filling of water.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
I wouldn't move the fish yet. Let the new tank cycle first unless your moving most the stuff from the old tank to the new one.

Reactions: tlindsey

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Not sure what fish you have but I am in same situation. I know my fish will be shocked when moving to a new tank so I am going to hold and get everything ready.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I just have three young peacock cichlids.
Probably won't be a big deal for them if you add sand later. It's not something I would lose sleep over.
My fish are my pride and joy. They are in a crowded tank right now. When I move them that will be it for a long time.
Pbass and oscars. So I am just going to shock them once. My case a little different I think because I am moving them to a new tank and filter.
Hopefully I can get cycle going. We shall see and they will wait.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Really should not be an issue, I just did it actually.
Had to move my tank, kept the sand out cause I have to move it again (apt being remodeled) well the fish was freaking out seeing his reflections so I put it back in during a water change when the water was real low. Used a plastic bowl to pour it right where I wanted it. Water was clear an hour after the water change was done. The fish ,a Festae, handled it just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store