Any harm in adding the substrate later?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
what i did was just wash the sand to get the bigger debris out then pour the sand into the tank and let the filter do the job..... 24hrs later.... the tank should be clear and you can rinse the filter instead

Reactions: Matteus

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I just put in Seachem gold coast sand in my new aquarium. Wow was there a lot of silt/ cloudyness! I stirred up the sand and pumped the tank out. I repeated this process. Now everything is great. I can't imagine rinsing 80 lbs of sand in buckets. Way too much work. The process I did was fairly easy.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
It will be fine as long as you add the sand slowly. Use a cup to slowly pour it in. Rinse the sand as many times as possible before adding of course.

Reactions: Jexnell

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I just put in Seachem gold coast sand in my new aquarium. Wow was there a lot of silt/ cloudyness! I stirred up the sand and pumped the tank out. I repeated this process. Now everything is great. I can't imagine rinsing 80 lbs of sand in buckets. Way too much work. The process I did was fairly easy.
Correction - Caribsea

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I dont see a problem with you adding the sand later unless the type of sand makes the water cloudy. Just make sure to turn off the filters while adding the sand. It will help from getting sand into the motor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store