Any last tips on moving??

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
We're changing apartments in one week and if any of you have any tips to make it a bit easier on the fish (and me lol) I'd really appreciate hearing them.

~I had an idea to borrow half the trash cans from work, line them with thick garbage bags and transport 50% of the water from all the tanks when we move... Think it'll work??

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
keep the filters in water, and keep some air moving around them.
If your filters are completely established when you get to your new destination you wont need any of your old water. Just dechlor the new water and make sure the temperature is in an acceptable range.

keep the containers that the fish are in areated, and keep them dark
I'm sure there are more tips im not thinking of, but i'll add more if I think of them

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
:D Dude good luck............moving sucks ***, I just moved (only 2 towns over) and it took a long time (started at 6 am and ended at 2 am ther next day, 4 tanks and over 200 gallons)..............Get lots of help...............use all of you IOU's........We all know big tanks are heavy as heck!!!!!............Go to home depot and buy a bunch of those contractor 5 gal buckets w/covers......for the fish and gravel (can all be returned after use)...................Use "prime" wheh filling tanks.................. use filters that have been on cycled tanks..................Dont procrastinate, get it all done the same day if you can...............and good luck...............................Oh and by the way I did not lose any fish............... well that week...............hahaha!!!!:headbang2

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
bump.....this dude needs advice on moving!!!!!! lets help him out with tips........

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
I'll be moving mine 2hrs away (without stops) this friday/saturday
gonna empty part of the water out of the tanks into 32 gallon containers, move them the day before, aerate them and heat them while at new house. then next day moving tanks and fish in coolers with air pumps, and buckets for some water little gravel, and then throwing it all into the mix with a combination of stability and prime...

BiG~O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2006
nj
you can get away with saving 35-40% of the original cycled tank water as long as you keep the same filter media (and keep it wet) i would recomend moving your fish in a cooler with a battery powered areator. 5 gallon buckets are great for substrate. and if you are draining a few tanks a small sump pump will make your life much easier. just make sure you remove all the water and substrate before attemting to move the tanks. also i used a little stress coat in the tank water that i transported the fish in. lastly make sure that you acclimate the fish to the new (semi-new)water before you put them in. you can lose a stressed fish easily by introducing it into water that is only a few degrees warmer/colder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store