any one used peat plates as a substrate

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
Hi people,i'm getting a 33 g ready for a another planted biotope was in the lfs and came across peat plates, first time i've seen them are they any good ? I thought i could compress my own peat so cost isnt a factor I like the idea of lowering the ph most likely i'm doing a darkwater system or is there a better media that will acomplish this had bad experiances with loams.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Remember that peat's lifetime is limited. At some point, its capacity to lower the pH is is reached. If you want to use peat to alter water chemistry, put it in a canister filter and exchange it regularly. If you like it for the looks: I mixed peat into my sand. For the plants, I added laterite in the bottom layer.

HarleyK

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
i should look my self but enjoy talking fish i've never used laterite and what is it ? tryed finding in a lfs no luck i know i could order it but i'm a hands on person in other words i look at the igrediants and see if i can subsitute it with a cheaper item ecuse my spelliing had a long day

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
fishnutham said:
i should look my self
:thumbsup:

I don't see a way out if you don't want to mail-order but you cannot find in your lfs, either. It's an iron-rich soil... Google is your friend ;)

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store