Any sculpin keepers?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Im wondering if there is any sculpin keepers on here?
These are probably the most over looked mini monsters:headbang2
Anybody keep them at all? If so how do u keep them? and pics if u got them(need to get some)

I keep 1 mottled sculpin(only species close to me that iv caught)
He lives with native cray(that will get eatten)
10g at 58 degrees at winter 66 summer
feeds on worms, or any other insect that i can get to sink and squirm:headbang2
attacks the siphon, feeding stick and glass scraper!!

WERE ARE MY SCULPIN KEEPERS????

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I'd love too, but there aren't any close to me. The closest is a tasselated darter, which I guess really isn't that close. Maybe we can get some on our upcoming trip. I've got a 20 gallon long that is gonna be vacant soon, might be a good candidate.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
you wont regret it if u get one. unbelievealbe mini monsters. aggressive and cannabalistic. lol. thinking about build a custom tank just for some....

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i believe mottled(my species) gets around 10in but i have never seen any above 4 to 5 inches. mine currently is 3.5"
i wouldnt suggest raising them from any size smaller.
hopeing that if we check out the susquehanna drainage, ill be able to pickup a potomac sculpin.
also around me are one other kind i need

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
5" is about max for mottleds. Most eastern freshwater sculpins are under 7" or so, but I believe some western and marine species are larger.

I kept a banded sculpin for a while when I was first starting to keep natives. He swiftly killed his tankmates (darters, minnows, juvenile sunfish) and then kicked the bucket himself. I didn't know then about sculpins' need for high DO and cool water. I wouldn't mind getting some more in the future if I ever have a nice cool place to keep them.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
so 5 is the max. i thought i read that 10.... oh well that makes it better!!

DO? whats that.....
and i keep mine cold. im thinking about making a custom tank for them that will be wide and very shallow(sub 12") prob about 24" by 18" by 7"
that way evap is high and will really help keep it cool

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
oh, duh. yeah i have my 10g only 3/4 full and use an internal filter with a large drop to oxy the water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store