anybody have experiance with young flagtails

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
hey all I purchased two 2 inch red tailed prochilodus (flagtails) about a month ago. They were in my 80 gallon with a school of adult giant danios and adult teardrop barbs. One died after a week in quaranteen the other lasted about 3 weeks in the 80 gallon now I found it dead when I did a water change, I think the giant danios is the culprit. I purchased 4 inch one online and he came in with ich. I had a large 11 inch that I had for years and he was bullet proof. Are these fish just real sensitive when smaller?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I too am curious about this. I had also purchased 2 young flagtails (approx 2"). One died in quarantine (it seemed to be the weaker of the two). The other I had for about 7 months. I was growing it out in a 55 with plans to move it to my 135. It was in with a couple Bolivian rams and some rummies. Seemed to be doing good although growth was very slow. Then it suddenly died. I would love to hear experiences from people who have grown these out from juvies. I would like to try one again but large adults are so expensive.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Were they feeding ok, i mean did you actually see them get their share or did you just put food in, walk away and assume that they were eating. The reason i ask is that my young flagtail just dosen't seem to get the competition for food thing at feed time. All my other fish eat greedily but my flagtail is just so laid back. As it is it would be very easy to understand if he died of starvation. But he must be getting enough because he looks very healthy, his coloration is awesome and well, he's not dead! Saying that though, his growth rate is minimal and i've had him a few months now so that would fit in with the not eating a lot thing. Or maybe as freak78 mentioned, they just struggle when they're tiny.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Mine was not an aggressive eater either and I did worry if he was getting enough food. I did watch and make sure he got at least a couple bites at feeding time.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Now y'all have me worried about my new little guy. He does eat pellets and has cleared the tank of algae. I have my lights at max intensity/duration to help my new plants but no new algae to graze on.
Before. Look at glass in background
IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0415.JPG IMG_0418.JPG
And 4 days laterIMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store