Anyone ever have peaceful mosquito fish?

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Made myself a free native paludarium out of an old 40b over the last couple weeks.
Went collecting down by the creek here in Central AR, in an eddy that got isolated and is drying up, and is teeming with life. So I stuck my net in the muck under a stump a couple times and came up with what I'm 85% sure are green tree frog tadpoles, and what sure look like cream colored mosquito fish, but the largest is maybe an inch long and I didn't see any larger at the site, and they have been very peaceful.
Some other micro fish with a stripe maybe half the size of a grain of rice show no fear of them and are left alone, the tadpoles are left alone. I cheated and added some ghost shrimp, they are also not being bothered.
The "mosquito fish" are way more into algae wafers and veggie flakes than blood worms (might be a bit big for them).
Any ideas on what they could be?

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Nah, but I'll half fix that tomorrow. Tiny neutral colored fish on a silt and leaf litter substrate, pics might look a little 2007 on a good day.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Mosquito fish peaceful? Never heard that one before…
Everyone I've talked to with every species- we all have the same issue. Females eating males
Doesn't matter the tank size
I tried breeding them in a 10, females ate the males. Friend put melanistic holbrooki in a 400 gallon in ground pond, females ate the males.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Maybe it's the calm before the storm? They seem to act a lot like my swordtails but w/o the chasing.
They have a pretty small set up for them atm but if the numbers start increasing maybe I'll start a bucket pond for them. Where I found them there were thousands in 2" of orange stagnant water.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Best ones I got.
Looks like Gambusia holbrooki and some sort of tadpole of the Rana or Lithobates genera.

Odd, though; I haven't experienced any cannibalism between male and female mosquitofish, only females eating their own young, back when I used to breed them as feeders.

Reactions: GolemGolem

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Things are picking up a bit, there is a quite gravid female who always has a male right up under her tail, but she doesn't seem too freaked out about it. Tadpole now has legs, think Fallen Leaves is right lots of leopard frogs around here. You walk along a slightly overgrown ditch and you'll hear them dive into the ditch several times a mile.
But, I just learned the Australian govt refers to Gambusia Holbrooki as the Plauge Minnow. So now I shall only refer to these fish as such. Plague Minnow.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Still going great! Tadpoles are now frogs, tiny, tiny frogs. Got them eating ants, fruit flies and small isopods from around the yard. Plauge minnows are a few more than before. Plants have been the biggest hassle, but they might be turning the corner with the frogs eating pests now and not the plants. Think more people should try a set up like this it's fun.dort.png

Can you find the frog?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store