Anyone have Hoplosternum littorale "Hoplo Cats"?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I've always been a fan of these. I had 2 a long time ago...they were very friendly. They would always check out my hands whenever they were in the tank.

I actually don't see them often in a fish store...they run over $12 when I do see them.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I had 2 of these as well. They were the most interactive fish I've ever had. Like you said anytime my hands were in the tank they were swimming in and out of them. I haven't seen them for sale in close to 10 years. I lost mine during a bad break up. I left 1 tank at my exes house with the 2 hoplos and she just unhooked the filters because they bothered her.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I had one, brilliant fish. I want to keep a group in a species setup and breed them one day.

stoned_fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
Ont, Canada
Iv never kept them. But i got a few friends from Guyana who say they are delicious lol. They call them hassa and cook it up with some curry.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I have 2 hoplosternum thoracatum pretty much the same. Super active, mine eat from the top level always want to check out the hand and constantly eating!! I got mine for $8. I also saw the littorali ffor sale for also $8 a month ago or so

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Iv never kept them. But i got a few friends from Guyana who say they are delicious lol. They call them hassa and cook it up with some curry.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ah thanks, not sure that that was the information I was looking for.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
There's one at my LFS that I was tempted to buy the other day but I'm not sure if I have enough bottom space in my tank, it's a 30 tall with bottom feeders of two bronze Corys and an asian bb catfish. The ones at my local aquarium are extremely interactive like people on here have been saying, they're like big friendly Corydoras :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store