Anyone into strength sports?

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Your post from 11/22 about "the hardest workout I have ever done, by far" made me cringe hard. You could have done 1/3 of the work, and gotten 90% of the stimulation. Anything beyond that is just adding fatigue, with no benefit. Law of diminishing returns my friend. As an advanced competitor I stopped doing deadlifts years ago, takes too long to recover. Doesn't pass the cost/benefit economic analysis. I now do rows 3x a week instead. What's better for hypertrophy, stimulating muscle growth 156 times a year, or 52 times a year?

The goal is to stimulate, not annihilate.

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
I used to be, I compted in strong man competitions in the early 00's. I used to have 7 tires ranging from 200 to 1600 pounds in my garage. I also had a power rack, custom made atlas stones, a platform for said stones, sleds, car pulling harnesses, custom farmers walk bars. I miss those days but after 3 cervical spine surgeries I needed to stop pushing myself. I was always bad at bench but great at deadlift and squat. That is what lead me to strongman over powerlifting. I was able to use my legs in all events so I could win more often. I have some videos to remember the good times, my favorite is my 256 per hand farmer walk for 50 feet down and back after flipping a 426 tire 10 times. I loved the medley event! My tire highlight was when I flipped the 1600 one time, that took all I had but was it ever fun. Good luck on your endeavors, I would still be competing if not for injuries that happened outside the gym, first one was snowboarding that cost me the chance to go to a specific competition which cost me my pro card. I trained people in a gym for awhile after I got injured so feel free to message with questions.

<edit> the routine that worked for me was 5x5 or 3x3, only going to gym about 20 to 30 minutes twice a week then an hour of strongman events every Sunday. I found less is more for me but that is not true for everyone.

Reactions: Nilsafeller
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store