Anyone keeping a marine lobster?

smijeha

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
no where
Just wondering if anyone here is keeping a lobster they got from their local food market. Ive always thought of doing this. Would love to see your setups, stories, pros /cons, and advice! Thanks.

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Ive been telling myself for sometime now if I ever come across one of those supermarket chiller tanks they keep live lobsters in for an affordable price id get it. Although now that I think about it I'm not sure how robust those systems are Im sure they're designed to be cost effective to run and not a long term option.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
They do get large, but at a terribly slow rate that makes clown loaches growth rate look like an RTC's in comparison.

"It takes lobsters an average of 5 to 7 years (depending on the water temperature) to grow to legal size, and they grow more slowly as they get larger. Therefore a lobster that weighs 3 pounds is an estimated 15-20 years old, and a 25 pound lobster would be approximately 75-100 years old.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had one years ago when I was into salt.I actually bought it for the purpose of providing bio waste for my filter system as I did not want to fool around with damsels that I would not wish to keep once the tank cycled.I cooked and ate the lobster after it served it's purpose.

smijeha

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
no where
I had one years ago when I was into salt.I actually bought it for the purpose of providing bio waste for my filter system as I did not want to fool around with damsels that I would not wish to keep once the tank cycled.I cooked and ate the lobster after it served it's purpose.

Was it one of the grocery store varients? Did you add a chiller to the tank or just keep at room temperature? If i kept it in the basement the winter temps ate 50s and summer low 60s. I have a small fridge that i was thinking of running filter through to keep water cool.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Was it one of the grocery store varients? Did you add a chiller to the tank or just keep at room temperature? If i kept it in the basement the winter temps ate 50s and summer low 60s. I have a small fridge that i was thinking of running filter through to keep water cool.
Yes it was from the grocery store and I think it cost about twelve bucks.I did not use a chiller but I did not run a heater either.

Reactions: smijeha

smijeha

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
no where
Yes it was from the grocery store and I think it cost about twelve bucks.I did not use a chiller but I did not run a heater either.[/QUO

What did you feed it? Did you observe it eating? Did you take the rubber bands off the claws? How long did you have it while cycling your tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store