Shane templar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2019
Bristol uk
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone just wondered if it’s possible to overdose on melafix!? About 2 weeks ago I noticed my Oscar had a small hole in his fin and then a bit missing on his dorsal fin ( thought he might of caught it on bogwood or been nipped by silver dollar) then about a week ago I noticed he had a few white blotches on his side about the size of a scale! Anyway I went to my local fish shop and bought melafix to treat it! Followed the instructions (5 mls per 40 litres of water my tank is 680 so equals 85 mls of melafix) the next day my Oscar died! The day before I added melafix he was fine apart from the marks on his fins and side! The only thing I can think of is when I did a 50% water change I added the 85 mls of melafix before topping the remaining 50% water up! All my other fish are fine and unaffected!
i do 2 50% water changes a week
And ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates are approx 25-30

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

I would suspect 02 depletion, especially if the survivors were all smaller fish. See link above.

Shane templar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2019
Bristol uk
Thanks for the reply rd 👍🏻I have 2 spray bars and 4 air stones but didn’t know I had to increase aeration when using it!!! Other fish are 7 silver dollars and a royal pleco and delhezi bichir and they seem fine! Thanks again

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Thanks for the reply rd 👍🏻I have 2 spray bars and 4 air stones but didn’t know I had to increase aeration when using it!!! Other fish are 7 silver dollars and a royal pleco and delhezi bichir and they seem fine! Thanks again
Oscars especially are super Hardy against no 02 my guess is something else

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store