Aquaclear 70 impeller load

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
i got an aquaclear 70 used do i need to change the impeller I cleaned it and the inside where it goes and its still loud and sounds like its grinding on something.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
i got an aquaclear 70 used do i need to change the impeller I cleaned it and the inside where it goes and its still loud and sounds like its grinding on something.
I would try with the shaft first. Only a $7 part on Amazon. If that don't quiet it down enough try the impeller.

Wear marks on the shaft cause the impeller to move around while in motion hitting the sides what have you making the noise. A new shaft could stop this from happening.

Tip: make sure your ACs are level so over time the they don't wear down the shaft causing the impeller to wobble and make noise.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I would try with the shaft first. Only a $7 part on Amazon. If that don't quiet it down enough try the impeller.

Wear marks on the shaft cause the impeller to move around while in motion hitting the sides what have you making the noise. A new shaft could stop this from happening.

Tip: make sure your ACs are level so over time the they don't wear down the shaft causing the impeller to wobble and make noise.
Yah i saw groove marks ill buy a new one.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
i tend to do both at the same time .. that's pretty much a full rebuild on that filter...

Reactions: deeda

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Replace the shaft and you'll be fine. I've been using AC 70's, 500's and 110's for years and it's always a worn shaft that makes them noisy.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All shafts and impellers wear with time, and the crackling sound usually means cavitation (which in of itself can pit impellers). If the impeller and shaft are worn, it may be off balance, and this can also wear the volute ( the area the shaft rides in, and housing).
You can see a figure 8 carved in the housing below, causing a wobbly shaft, that wore the pump housing area below.

This wear totally ruined the pump.
I tried replacing the impeller, but it didn't help.
A worn impeller below, back when I used play sand as substrate, which eventually got in and scored the the magnet, .

Moral of the story, inspect closely, if there is general wear in all areas, sometimes repair is futile, if just an impeller or shaft, it may be worth it, but if the housing is altered, you may not want to bother.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store