Aquarium Cycling Issues

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I have been trying to cycle my aquarium for a few months now but it eventually fails. Usually, it begins converting a little ammonia to nitrites and then the nitrites dissapears and the ammonia stops falling. I have ruled out lack of bio media (I have 250 ml of matrix which is good for 50 gallons according to seachem in a media bag). Around 3-4 days ago, one of my family members turned off the filter for the whole NIGHT because it was "too loud" but they blare their tv loud enough for me to get startled by it while I am in my room upstairs on the other side of the house. This stopped the cycling process and I have not seen any traces of nitrites or ammonia going down. As far as I am aware, the process should have started up again but no luck. I think There might be a little bit of the test kit chemicals in the water since I notice the water is very slightly tinged blue or some other un natural color before I add in the drops.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have been trying to cycle my aquarium for a few months now but it eventually fails. Usually, it begins converting a little ammonia to nitrites and then the nitrites dissapears and the ammonia stops falling. I have ruled out lack of bio media (I have 250 ml of matrix which is good for 50 gallons according to seachem in a media bag). Around 3-4 days ago, one of my family members turned off the filter for the whole NIGHT because it was "too loud" but they blare their tv loud enough for me to get startled by it while I am in my room upstairs on the other side of the house. This stopped the cycling process and I have not seen any traces of nitrites or ammonia going down. As far as I am aware, the process should have started up again but no luck. I think There might be a little bit of the test kit chemicals in the water since I notice the water is very slightly tinged blue or some other un natural color before I add in the drops.

The turning off of the filter would cause issues especially if the media dried out and was deprived of oxygen. Also your stock load can contribute to a struggling cycle process.

Reactions: Davidiator

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
The media for the most part remained submerged. I don't have any livestock in my aquarium right now.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The media for the most part remained submerged. I don't have any livestock in my aquarium right now.

I personally would have a problem with someone unplugging my filter .
What are you feeding the bacteria with?

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I have around 4 ppm of ammonia in my aquarium right now. Yeah,it was annoying since this has happened a few times and I've explained why it needs to be on and the cycling to them but they think that since our family friends have this seriously stunted goldfish a bowl for a few years it doesn't matter or something like that.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have around 4 ppm of ammonia in my aquarium right now. Yeah,it was annoying since this has happened a few times and I've explained why it needs to be on and the cycling to them but they think that since our family friends have this seriously stunted goldfish a bowl for a few years it doesn't matter or something like that.

Ok update date us with the great news when the cycling process is done. :)

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
How long does it usually take for nitrites to appear? I'm kind of worried that it will stop because my aquarium usually ends up stopping the cycling process mysteriously around this point.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long does it usually take for nitrites to appear? I'm kind of worried that it will stop because my aquarium usually ends up stopping the cycling process mysteriously around this point.

Tbh I can't give you a estimated time but will say this if you didn't know this already some don't shake the nitrate testing bottles enough to actually get any ppm reading.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store