Aquarium seal/trim

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Posted this on another forum on MFK with no reply but would appreciate someone’s opinion on the sealant on my 180 gallon Aqueon

It’s been up and running since before last summer and I’ve always noticed that on some edges of the tank the glass wasn’t particularly flush or smooth with the sealant. The tank was levelled appropriately and I really had no issues at all so far. What does concern me and if I’m honest give me sleepless nights is what I’ve highlighted in the photos on the front left corner. When viewing the tank from the front there appears to be a clear line where the glass is joined. You can see in one picture where my finger is next to the line and if I place my finger on the side of the tank you can clearly see the shadow ffor my finger. I don’t really know how else to describe it but it’s obvious that there is a tiny overlap of the glass edge. If you rub your finger along the edge from the outside you can fill the glass overlapping just slightly. If I’m honest I think it’s always been there but what I’m worried about eventually is whether this is a sign of the finder of the sealant. It’s similar on the right side too

I apologize for the crappy picture with the reflection but hope you can see the clear line that is evident from the top to the bottom of the tank

I guess I really want to know whether anyone can tell me whether this will be safe long-term. I got to say wouldn’t recommend Aqueon tanks as the finish to the sealant and trim is poor

3001D996-8C7C-469E-8EB4-132C563554D7.jpeg 2D814100-EF4C-4A65-B71D-60C2B9C744D1.jpeg 600B1ECB-505B-487D-9535-A98CC54C2ABC.jpeg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Ok that’s better. The overhang on the glass is fine. They just did a sloppy job making the tank. I’ve had a few tanks very similar. Very tough to see what the white line is. Looks like it’s just the light caused by refraction from the overhanging glass.

The seams look good on the tank. Clean, straight, unpeeled silicone. The tank is fine.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Ok that’s better. The overhang on the glass is fine. They just did a sloppy job making the tank. I’ve had a few tanks very similar. Very tough to see what the white line is. Looks like it’s just the light caused by refraction from the overhanging glass.

The seams look good on the tank. Clean, straight, unpeeled silicone. The tank is fine.
Yes the light is from the glass overhang. Like you said it was a very sloppy job and I was quite unimpressed with the finish. The actual sealant inside is all good and solid. Many thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Reactions: Lepisosteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store