Aquarium Stocking Help

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
I am currently running a 5ft, 100 gallon aquarium. It is stocked with: A Gold Severum pair (5-6in), another Gold Severum and 2 Red Spotted Severums(3-4in), an Oscar (6in), A common Pike cichlid(5in), A jaguar cichlid(3in), a Blue Texas Cichlid(4in), a shovelnose cat(5-6in) and a common pleco. Now.... before you all tell me this tank is over stocked.. I KNOW!!! Im looking for a permanent setup with the addition of a marbled bichir, Id like to keep the pike and the spotted severum, also the shovelnose along with the marbled bichir. Some notes: The Texas has recently shown aggressive behavior, he even tries to fight the pair! I dont want the oscar in the tank he is just simply a big fish to keep the aggresion down, The texas will be moved to a 75 alone for life or a possible pair. All suggestions are welcomed!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
A little confused by what you're asking... You are getting a new, larger tank? You mention a shovelnose, depending on the species they can grow 3' long, are you prepared for a 500+ gallon tank? If not, I would choose another species of catfish, maybe a 4-line pimelodella.

As you know, the tank is badly overstocked right now, which is going to cause lots of aggression problems. My suggestion would be a larger tank or less fish pretty much immediately, since you mention you are having problems already.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
honestly if it was me I'd downsize to the pair of red spots and the pike like you said. if its a lima shovelnose you may be alright, but one of the larger varieties might grow longer than your tank one day.

definitely jettison the jag and texas and oscar.

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
A little confused by what you're asking... You are getting a new, larger tank? You mention a shovelnose, depending on the species they can grow 3' long, are you prepared for a 500+ gallon tank? If not, I would choose another species of catfish, maybe a 4-line pimelodella.

As you know, the tank is badly overstocked right now, which is going to cause lots of aggression problems. My suggestion would be a larger tank or less fish pretty much immediately, since you mention you are having problems already.
Its a lima shovelnose which should get around 16" maybe more but there growth rate is very slow. I plan on moving the texas cichlid to a 75, which currently has a jack dempsey in it that is about 2in bigger than the texas cichlid. Do you think having a gold severum pair with the addition of the pike and the lima shovel would work as a permanent stock. I would probably keep the jag in the tank only until he gets big enough for a 125 gallon tank, along with the texas.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hard to say if it will work, some pikes can be pretty mean. But I think its possible. The lima would eventually need an upgrade or sold. But they do grow slowly like you said.
Also, knowing what species of pike you have would help. Can you post a pic and we can try to ID it?

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
Hard to say if it will work, some pikes can be pretty mean. But I think its possible. The lima would eventually need an upgrade or sold. But they do grow slowly like you said.
Also, knowing what species of pike you have would help. Can you post a pic and we can try to ID it?
20180316_233914.jpg 20180316_234043.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hard to say, maybe strigata though. How does it behave? If he ignores the severums currently, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Side note- if your jaguar is a male, it may be tough getting it to share a 125 with the texas as adults. just a heads up.

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
Hard to say, maybe strigata though. How does it behave? If he ignores the severums currently, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Side note- if your jaguar is a male, it may be tough getting it to share a 125 with the texas as adults. just a heads up.
The pike is very laid back however he whips the texas around if he finds him near his log lol. Regarding the jag it is still to small to sex imo I will be taking him to my lfs if it turns out to be male

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store