Aquarium water pump problems.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I can’t believe someone on u tube recommend using two return pumps. If the return pump is in the aquarium then the only place you can put the filter is above the tank. That is of course if your filter is setup properly and can’t flood your display. But unless you plan on drilling your aquarium. I wouldn’t recommend a diy overflow because they can loose syphon and flood your sump, and since you’ve already flooded your house I doubt you’d want to risk that again. Post some pictures of your filter so we can see what’s going on.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
I can’t believe someone on u tube recommend using two return pumps. If the return pump is in the aquarium then the only place you can put the filter is above the tank. That is of course if your filter is setup properly and can’t flood your display. But unless you plan on drilling your aquarium. I wouldn’t recommend a diy overflow because they can loose syphon and flood your sump, and since you’ve already flooded your house I doubt you’d want to risk that again. Post some pictures of your filter so we can see what’s going on.
Hmmm, your right, I do not want to flood the house again. And I do not have any pictures of the DIY sump, but when I get home I will post it. And the Idea I have for the overhead is like this. So say i place the overhead sump and one return motor inside the display tank will push water up to the sump, and for return I thought about free-flow back to the aquarium, like a HOB flows back. This way what I believe or lets say the picture in my head shows that, in events of power outage if the return pump continues to pump to the overhead, then it would still keep looping back into the aquarium.

That link should give you an idea of what am saying, What do you think?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yes, that's exactly the issue, I'm facing, so the first time I had an power outage, the pump in the display tank spewed out half the water in the display tank and resulted in flooding the house. And they aren't identical pumps, to match flow rate, I had to get two different once. Anyhow, I,m thinking of just making a DIY overhead sump filtration, in which case even if the pump continues to siphon water then It will siphon it back to the display tank itself. Any suggestion or inputs for the DIY overhead sump?
When I first read your post I thought I must be reading it wrong because I couldn't believe that anyone would set up their system in that way. It's a flood waiting to happen....again.....and again.....and again, one of which you've already had. Well at least you've worked out that things need to change, which is a good start.

An overhead sump would be ok. If you go that way you have your pump in the tank pumping water from your display up into your above tank filter. Then it is simply GRAVITY fed back into your display tank.

And, as mentioned, if you have a below tank sump, your pump is in the sump pumping water up into your display tank and, again, the water is GRAVITY fed back down from your display tank to your sump. ONE pump in either scenario.

Just an aside, and one worth mentioning imo. You say you have a 75g tank and then you rhyme off a ray, 2 oscars, 2 bichirs and 2 silver sharks (I assume balas). That's quite a stocking level for a 75g. If they're all small then there's no immediate rush but as they grow you are going to have to seriously consider an upgrade. Have you got any future plans to address this issue?

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
When I first read your post I thought I must be reading it wrong because I couldn't believe that anyone would set up their system in that way. It's a flood waiting to happen....again.....and again.....and again, one of which you've already had. Well at least you've worked out that things need to change, which is a good start.

An overhead sump would be ok. If you go that way you have your pump in the tank pumping water from your display up into your above tank filter. Then it is simply GRAVITY fed back into your display tank.

And, as mentioned, if you have a below tank sump, your pump is in the sump pumping water up into your display tank and, again, the water is GRAVITY fed back down from your display tank to your sump. ONE pump in either scenario.

Just an aside, and one worth mentioning imo. You say you have a 75g tank and then you rhyme off a ray, 2 oscars, 2 bichirs and 2 silver sharks (I assume balas). That's quite a stocking level for a 75g. If they're all small then there's no immediate rush but as they grow you are going to have to seriously consider an upgrade. Have you got any future plans to address this issue?
Yeah, like I said I am new to this hobby, so the DIY was a trial and Error, and of course thanks to all of you, now I know better. So once I get the overhead filter I hopes it doesn't fail me again. But again trial and error. (Have a power filter in there, for the time being and the fish are perfectly alright).

About the stocking, all the fish are small, around 3-5 inch max. the Bala shark and the Bichir is about 4-5 inch. the Ray is tad bigger (8-9 inch) and the oscars are about 2-3 inches big. And I did feel that the tank was overstocked, however, in about a years time, I am having a pool pond set up. somewhere about 1200 gallons, so this 75 gallon kind of becomes my grow out tank. But I do have a plan for the long run to make sure the fish thrive in their environment. And Obviously will look forward to all your help.

Reactions: esoxlucius

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sumps and canisters work by the law of gravity, as water is pumped "up" to the tank, it flows by gravity back "down" to the sump or canister.
Gravity allows only the amount of water pumped up to the tank, to fall out.

If you have an overhead filter, you pump water up to it....and again, the same amount of water falls by gravity from above, back into the tank (this type filter must be higher than (or at least patially) be above the tank).
You never pump down, and expect another another pump to pump water back at the same rate, there are too many variables to be able to match flow.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
You should look into the way sumps work. Once you understand the concept you will see the flaws in your design. Your overhead sump will need a bulkhead and stand pipe that will set how much water will return to your aquarium on power failure. If you set it up correct it will only be a small amount. If you set the stand pipe too low or have too much water in the sump you will flood the display tank.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
Sumps and canisters work by the law of gravity, as water is pumped "up" to the tank, it flows by gravity back "down" to the sump or canister.
Gravity allows only the amount of water pumped up to the tank, to fall out.

If you have an overhead filter, you pump water up to it....and again, the same amount of water falls by gravity from above, back into the tank (this type filter must be higher than (or at least patially) be above the tank).
You never pump down, and expect another another pump to pump water back at the same rate, there are too many variables to be able to match flow.
Yes, I learnt this lesson the hard way, and I will do a bit more research on sump designs before I go all creative. I do have another problem, there seems to be a bacteria bloom in my tank, not too bad, it's clearing up, but ever since the bloom began, my stingray would only sit in one corner. Kinda worried for him. It's been about three days now that he sits in one corner and only comes out to eat.

Any Idea as to why. Oh and yeah the place he occupies most is under the heater. The water in the entire tank is warm enough. It's set at 28 degree celsius. And last checked the temperature was stable throughout the tank. So I think it's safe to say that its not the heater thats drawing him to sit there?

Any suggestion please? And also suggestions on the bacterial bloom.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
You should look into the way sumps work. Once you understand the concept you will see the flaws in your design. Your overhead sump will need a bulkhead and stand pipe that will set how much water will return to your aquarium on power failure. If you set it up correct it will only be a small amount. If you set the stand pipe too low or have too much water in the sump you will flood the display tank.
Yes, I did see the flaws, and yea, I am planning to get the bulk heads and everything so basically I want to do this the right way, so I will do a bit of research on this before I go get the materials for the build.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In new set ups, bacterial blooms are very common, and no amount of filtration with remove the bacteria because individual bacteria are so small. They usually go away on their own, once the tank has settled into some kind of equilibrium with the amount of stock, and filtration.
This can take days, or weeks, or longer depending of whether the tank is overstocked, or understocked, if cycled properly, there are many scenarios.

As to why th ray is under the heater....is there any other decor in the tank?

Most young riverine fish live along shaded banks, and until they are adults stay under branches, leafy foliage, and other cover, and in aquariums find comfort in any type objects provided to hide or relax near.
Open water areas (similar to bare tanks, or tanks without plants, (floating or rooted) until they get used to them) are stressful situations, where fish instinctually feel vulnerable. Many rays bury themselves in sand in open situaltions where cover is non-existent.
0089CB8D-2D38-4CA4-AC93-D41D91A732B4_1_201_a.jpeg
These instincts don't vanish in aquariums.
Above photo a river bank in the Magdalena system in Colombia, below Lake Gatun in Panama, places fish congregate and feel protected.
07C83A14-DE41-41CC-A08F-8CF9CF63982B_1_201_a.jpeg
below, an underwater shot in the Magdalena river.
09C39E87-637D-40AC-9361-AB773CB8DB47_1_201_a.jpeg

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
Hey sorry I was offline for a bit, was doing a little changes to the aquarium everything is perfect now, thanks to all of your suggestions and inputs, here are a few snaps of themScreenshot_20191130_150846-01.jpegScreenshot_20191130_150742-01.jpegIMG_20191120_192228-01.jpegScreenshot_20191130_150933-01.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store