Aquatic POTM April Discussion Thread

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Our April POTM is over, so congratulations to Bjarne on his breathtaking photo.

Two notes:

1. Please PLEASE start submitting early for the May POTM, and remember the new image size limit is now 800 wide.

2. Let's have a discussion re: the contest below, not JUST congratulations to the winner(s).

squidfish

Feeder Fish
Nov 17, 2004
New Brighton UK
wildlifephotographic.blogspot.com
Real Name
Rich
Occupation
Environmental consultant
Congratualtions Bjarne you photo really stood out in this contest. Great colour, detail and exposure that set off well against the green background.

Another nice shot from Andreas which had a good exposure and detail. This photo had a slight orange cast to it to me which I assume is somestaining from all the organic matter in the tank.

Jennifer's shot was good with some great clarity and detail but to me the starkness of the substrate reduced the quality of the shot and gave it a somewhat unnatural feel. A more natural coloured substrate I think would have improved this.

Some great colour and subtle detail on John's shot but the crop was just too tight.

Interesting pose on Yu-Chia's tang shot but it felt to me like it a bit lonely in space. A good shot but some improvement possible on the composition. If there had been some reef structure up the right hand side of the photo then the fish's pose I think would have had more punch to it.

Laurie's Dendrophylla had some good lighting and colour but suffered a little from the lack of DOF that macro shots have. The front tentacles seemed to distract rather than add to the composition which I felt lacked a focal point to an extent.

John Wong's shot was a nice composition in terms of the fish line up but would have been improved by being at a lower angleas it well you were looking down on the fish a little. I also thought that it would benefit from some slight sharpening.

The top fish's pelvic fin going through the head of the lower fish let down Tobi's shot. I also found the colouring a little confusing with the top fish pink and the lower on blue.

Jay's Odessa Barb was a decent enough profile of the species but slightly soft to me leading to some detail loss in the fins.

Andres shot found the fish a little hot from flash on the mid-flank behnd the gill.

A similar problem was shown in Theresa's photo.

Nane's Fontosa photo was slightly soft and quite noisey. I think the shape of the fish was also somewhat distorted by the angle of the shot. Soft and nosie were also a feature of John Roberts Picture.

My picture? Well thanks for the votes. Could have been better but I would not expect much more shooting through the thick acrylic of a public aquarium tank.

Thanks all for entering some great shots in this months contest.

Cheers

Rich

alanhill

Feeder Fish
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
Real Name
just Alan
Occupation
Teacher
A good contest - I felt that the top three were easy to spot, but it wasn't easy to put them in order. I actually put Bjarne's shot first, then I changed my mind and gave top marks to Andreas, on the grounds that a double portrait must be harder to shoot than a single one. I have some Aphyosemion striatum, which have been teaching me how hard these species are to photograph, so I could easily appreciate their efforts.
I have to confess I recognised Rich's arapaima, because I was standing next to him when he shot it - I couldn't manage a decent shot of it at all so I had to mark it high, but as he has already said, he couldn't have very much control over lighting in a public aquarium - so the quality couldn't quite compare (although I'm still jealous - I'm going to have to go back and try again).
I also liked CDM's surgeonfish, which looks like a very successful public aquarium shot. There were some nice shots in the others too. Well done to all who took part!

Alan

Andreas Werth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2005
Cologne
www.andreaswerth.net
Real Name
^^^
Hello Bjarne,
Congratulations on winning first place.

Rich, you did a very good job, i can imagine the shooting conditions at Blue Planet.
In this contest it was hard for me to find a clear favourite. Therefore i decided to give the same score to not less than 6 photos. Under those photos were the ones from John, Tobi and Jay, which should be placed at least 0.5 points higher imho. I hope for a better turnout next time, 25 voters are not much compared to all the users here. I wonder how this could be improved.
This photo had a slight orange cast to it to me which I assume is somestaining from all the organic matter in the tank.
Right, the turf leads to a yellow tint in this tank, normally i work with manual custom white balance here. In this specific case the pair was very near the front pane, therefore i did it without. However, i don´t find the tint distracting here, and the colours of both male and female are very accurate, what perhaps can be seen at the tips of the males fins.

@Alan: thank you for deciding otherwise ;-)
Do you show us your striatum in the near future?

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
I too was shocked about the voter turnout for this POTM. I did 2 reminders, and put the big letters RIGHT on the front page with the username, asking to vote. Participation and submissions both are going down a bit, dont know what else to do about it.

phishphorphun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2005
Maryland, USA
Nice job and congratulations Bjarne. Nice to see your wonderful photos in the spotlight again. Also congrats to the other contestants.

I also had several photos with similar scores. However, I can't remember what the exact scores were. How come we can't see our scores after the results are posted? Can't "your score" be included in the results?

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
Just got back from another trip and didn't get to vote on these, but did get a chance to see them when Ed was putting these up. Some well deserved wins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store