Aquatic POTM March Discussion Thread

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
General POTM March is over, and Sean Borycki (Froggie - our newest Advice Team member) won this month with a Spectacular photo (below). Congrats to Sean, Tobi, Michael Wheeler, and the rest for great entries. One of the strongest top 5 or 6 photos in the contest so far.

Remember, April POTM submissions are now being accepted.

Let's discuss the entries and how you feel they should have stacked up.

hir0

MFK Member
Oct 16, 2004
Azores, Portugal
congrats Sean. you have come a long way, and fast. great shot and hope to see more great shots from you.

phishphorphun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2005
Maryland, USA
Yeah Sean, what Hir0 said. You sort of remind me of me when I started hanging out here.;)

I gave this shot my top score. Very well exposed and with wonderful composition. Only improvement would probably be to the underside of the fish being a bit shaddowy. A lighter substrate can help with that.

Congrats on your great work.

Froggie

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2004
Canada
Thanks for the nice comments guys,

I personally gave my highest score to the S. rhombeus. Technically I had a few issues with the shot, but felt it was extremely powerful and really captured the fish. I have to admit though that there's this tiny spec over the right eye that keeps bothering me. A sign I'm a bit too anal maybe?

squidfish

Feeder Fish
Congratulaions Sean you got top marks from me, a great looking Cynotilapia and capture. :)

I also rated Jay's shot highly as it was very appealing to the eye as was Stan's Discus shot.

Tobi and Michael congratulations on second and third. These shots have captured movement, which will always raise the appeal of the photo, but is so often difficult to achieve.

I also rated Andreas shot well as it shows some great, if somewhat unusual, detail.

Cheers

Rich

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
The shot that I was TOTALLY blown away with at a first glance was Tobi's Comet. I think it worked really well to capture the natural state of movement of the fish, it was crisp, sharp and exhumed beauty. That was my top pick of the month, along with Sean's shot. The discus shot was great too. I loved the feeling of the parent watching the eggs very intensely. It translated well. The only thing that was a bit awkward (I dont know if there is a way to really improve it) is the fact that the focus was RIGHT on the edge of the photo, due to the eggs being so close to the corner of the tank. But I guess you can't tell them where to lay.

t_chelle16

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2005
usa
Thanks. :)

Honestly, I was actually thinking Michael's shot would get first, although I scored both his & Sean's the same. I love the composition of Michael's, but I do think there were some technical issues (not quite crisp enough for my liking). And although I'm not a huge fan of simple side-shot portraits, Sean's shot was technically very nice.

-Chelle

Andreas Werth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2005
Cologne
www.andreaswerth.net
Hi,
i also would like to congratulate the winners and thank all voters.

Sean´s cobue got my highest score, excellent portrait shot.
In my personal choice, it was followed by the trio Marc, Alan and Stan.

Some other photos in the contest looked very promising, but failed to score higher due to some technical issues. Nevertheless, interesting shots and good work was shown here.

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
Great set of submissions this month. Sean's shot was excellent. Andreas', Jay's, and Marc's shots were excellent as well and I gave them pretty much equal marks.

Another shot that I thought was quite nice was Alan's shot of one buff looking frog. Brought a smile to my face when I saw it, haha.

alanhill

Feeder Fish
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
A tough contest this month. I think Sean's shot deserved to win, at first glance I thought 'another pretty Malawi' - but as I looked closer I saw how detailed and controlled it was. Tobi's comet was good, the fins were nicely spread, except for the ventrals (which I saw as a little fault).
I liked the close-ups Michael's piranha and Andreas' softshell turtle were excellent. My frog wasn't as good, but it was my first digital aquatic entry (so I'm still a beginner in some ways). I was hoping to shoot the frog using her hands to stuff the bloodworms into her mouth, but she was too fast for me - greedy little thing!

Alan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store