Aquatic POTM May Discussion Topic

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Hey everyone.

Just want to Congratulate Bobby on his win in the Aquatic POTM May. Great photo and a very deserving win.

Let's discuss the photos for a second. This is not JUST a thread to congratulate the winner, but to discuss the photos in the contest. Why you liked particular photos, what was it that you found interesting about them. How they measured up......

Also, please dont forget to submit a photo for the JUNE POTMs (both of them). Participation is the key!

hir0

MFK Member
Oct 16, 2004
Azores, Portugal
congrats Bobby, i knew you had a winner the first time i looked through the photos. very well deserved. There were some other really good shots in there - congrats to everyone for a job well done.

phishphorphun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2005
Maryland, USA
Thanks hir0, and ditto to you for the general POTM winner.

I didn't think I had a chance with the more experienced and talented entry makers. This accomplishment means a lot to me. I feel I'm taking the instruction that you all are so generously offering, and making it work.

The subject in this shot is a real photo ham. He is always flexing his fins. The deep blue with red shoulders and white dorsal trim remind me of the USA flag when he flairs. I had just started to get a handle on using the SB-800 when I took this shot. And I rushed it to Ed to see if I had a chance to be accepted for the contest.

I guess I can start a portfoloio now :-D

Congratulations to all the entries. They all were deserving of recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
Congrats, Bobby. Also wondered about the May 2004 winning vs. the 2005 myself...

Somehow I forgot about voting this month...

tlemetry

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2005
St. Louis
First congrats on getting a fabulous photo! I think this is one of the best fish photos I have seen to date!

The first thing that captures my attention is the deep blue colors, the contrast is exceptional!
Kudos for the fish who poses for you! That is definately a rare find! He has a definate reason to show off.

I am very new to photography, but I have been studying it for several years holding out for the camera I wanted. I have also had several Salt water and fresh water aquariums. I could never get a good photo from my film cameras thru the glass. Is this taken thru the glass of an aquarium? Is there a tutorial for taking such pics? I would really like to know how you got such a phenominal photo.

T

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
T, the best thing you can do is read through our sections where people ask questions . Photography 101 is by far the best place to start.

Also check out our articles section with quite a few articles that show "setups" and tricks of photography.

Welcome to APF!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store