ARAPAIMA colours

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
This is my First time in MFK it's really nice to see all your great comments , i do have a Arapaima and its 10'' - 11'' long and i bought it a week back and it is also Dark Green and Black no Red or other colored scales yet and im hoping it will be Colorful soon, i have a 2feet Glass tank and its really not enough for the Beast i call my Son ... !

Cheers
- WARCRAFT -

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
WARCRAFT;4756189;4756189 said:
This is my First time in MFK it's really nice to see all your great comments , i do have a Arapaima and its 10'' - 11'' long and i bought it a week back and it is also Dark Green and Black no Red or other colored scales yet and im hoping it will be Colorful soon, i have a 2feet Glass tank and its really not enough for the Beast i call my Son ... !

Cheers
- WARCRAFT -
woah thats pretty crazy. pls get a larger tank asap! but yes dw its colour shud come out at around the 18" mark! best of luck with ure new beast!

Reactions: boomerk9

ouinonyes

Feeder Fish
Feb 29, 2008
Sydney
Specifically what kind of diet or conditions would promote the red-ish hue of the arapaima. I currently am keeping a 1 . something metre arapaima with a giant gourami and a paroon shark in a 3mx2mx1.5x pond (will be upgraded by march), half sun-half shade and I really would like to learn if the red-ish colouring is trigger in for example spawning period....or if its totally irrelevant.

Reactions: boomerk9

Slaegr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Monster House
is this similar to how you maintain the red-color of an FH?

i have a juvi Arapaima around 4", he already has some faint red coloring in it's tail and head, but the grow-out tank he's in right now doesn't have any kind of display, background, pebbles etc.
just plain grow-out tank before i can put it in with my Alligator Gar.
lighting is white(dim) and diet is variety of fish meat, prawns and feeders.

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
From the pics and vids that Ive seen, I think there are four variants:
Gold
Normal (red, orange etc)
Leucistic/Plat
Axanthic (panda)

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
in my short experience on arapaima, this is what i can say.

i bought mine on a LFS and its other sibling was left there. i bought it at about 4in in length. after a month, my paima grew to 8in. i visited his sibling and saw it only grew an inch or so. i guess they were under feeding it.

when they were both on the LFS, their color were golden green. after a month, mine became copper green with dark tinges all over. the one left in the store was very dark and almost black in color.

conclusion: when a paima is fed and is not stunted, it should be lighter in color. the space in the middle of its scale gives dark hue on it. when its stunted, the scales wont grow larger. hence, it would be darker. if healthy and fed adequately or power fed, the scales will grow much larger. out coloring the dark inter-scale coloring.

but its just from a newbie on arapaima care. hope it helps and i hope it also made sense. :screwy:
I find that the darker colour i also from the stress of being in a smaller tank...or maybe he was just scared being alone since babies prefer to school for safety. Also if arapaimas are kept outdoors in a pond they will darken due to the Sun's rays (as did my arowanas ) :)

boomerk9

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I'm hoping to bring out the red colour in my arapaima who is about 13 inches at the moment. Any specific feeds that anyone have found useful?
I'm trying more prawns/shrimp in the diet currently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store