Are bugs healthy for fish?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It's a very good idea, as long as they don't have any chemicals (pesticides etc) on them.

Other insects many fish love: crickets, grasshoppers, Japanese beetles, katydids, mayfly larvae (a favorite of many fish), earthworms ,tomato hornworms,junebugs (frozen then thawed), many aquatic insects ,dead wasp, houseflies,lacewings ,etc

Insects to avoid include: lady bugs, fireflies, stink bugs, toxic caterpillars,centipedes and millipedes,any fuzzy bugs.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok thanks, what about the egg sacs of ants? I just went and broke apart some rotten logs at a park and found egg sacs from ants, they are a small white sac, about the size of a an adult brine shrimp and they don't move.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ok thanks, what about the egg sacs of ants? I just went and broke apart some rotten logs at a park and found egg sacs from ants, they are a small white sac, about the size of a an adult brine shrimp and they don't move.
Those are good too! They used to be sold as animal food way back, not as much anymore.
Another cool food for larger fish are hellgramites (careful they bite).

And Phoenix worms are a good food to buy at pet stores (note never refrigerate Phoenix worms unless you want them dead).
If your brave enough wasp larvae can be used

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
OK thank you, I’m 14 and my parents said you can have fish but you’re paying for all the supplies so I’m doing this to save a bit more money, I only have tetras , kuhli and dojo loaches, danios, barbs, an albino red tail shark, 2 plecos in a 29 gallon and 3 dwarf puffers, 3 killifish, and 5 bumblebee gobies in a 10 gallon

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
OK thank you, I’m 14 and my parents said you can have fish but you’re paying for all the supplies so I’m doing this to save a bit more money, I only have tetras , kuhli and dojo loaches, danios, barbs, an albino red tail shark, 2 plecos in a 29 gallon and 3 dwarf puffers, 3 killifish, and 5 bumblebee gobies in a 10 gallon
Ah that helps, try collecting and freezing snails in local bodies of water, you can also flip rocks for small insect larvae

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
I have a bunch of logs in my front yard. Once a week I flip them to collect the earthworms under there as a treat. I wash and roughhandle them slightly to make them poop first.

Culture your own snails. Find some pond snail and put them in your tank. Once the numbers explode, crush them against the glass and your fish will be able to eat them.

Do you feed pellet? Because pellet saves money. A $30 jar of NLS for my 75g has lasted me a year so far, and its not even half used.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd also recommend a bigger tank on top of dry foods. Stuff like Dojos and RT sharks get rather large sometimes..

Worms are good food. Ants can be depending on the type, some contain formic acid which may be unpalatable for fish. Or maybe they don't care?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store