Are Fahaka puffers aggressive/interactive with their owners ?

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Looking for a wet pet, one of the candidates is a Fahaka puffer, are these interactive with the owners, will they follow your hand ? shy ?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Fahaka are basically the ideal wet pet, but their care is not so straightforward. If you can take care of one you won't be disappointed.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Most likely they are very intelligent, knowledge whose is its owner that giving them food, It's also depend on each own personality some can be very aggressive to other tankmates and even dangerous to the owner as well at maintain time. There is a dude got his finger bite off from a Fahaka in LFS when he ignored the sign "DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND IN TANK", he's tried to sue the LFS but he loss his case cause his stupidity lol

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Everyone I've seen is very interactive and I haven't even been the owner. If you can provide the space needed and diet needed then its great. I haven't seen any glass bangers, but very intelligent/interactive for a fish.

Now I wouldn't trust my fingers to anything capable of crushing huge snails, clams, crawfish, etc. You make a mistake with a large puffer it could cost you a finger.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My old Fahaka was hands down my favourite fish of all time!!!

Very personable, and very intelligent... but as with all puffers, each comes with their own personality... so agression can be hit or miss, but either way, expect it to be a solo wet pet for a 180G...

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
It does seem to come down to each fish. Mine is very active and clearly recognizes different people, some he doesn't like for whatever reason. Mine has always been a fussy eater and only eats snails and crayfish but will also eat any tankmates! However he shows 0 interest in my hands in the tank, not even a little. I scoop him up (gently guide him really) and move him around the tank without him caring at all.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
They don't swim all day as that would be a waste of energy for a predator. They rest a lot, but when hungry ( they learn feeding times/faces quickley) they bounce up and down the glass begging for food. High interactive and very personable.. like a aquatic puppy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store