Are Fly river turtles illigal now?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i know that in the US, they are protected by CITIES but í'm not that sure about Canada. They are still sold in Kijiji (like craigslist). I phone a bunch of LPS and they all said that they can't get them anymore. Just less than a year ago, they still had them for sale. I remember 2 years ago, they had them for sale for only 200 bucksat 6 inches! I saw a kijiji post where they are selling hatchlings for $200. I tried phoning them around 20 times but they never picked up. I assumed they were busted for illegal smuggling.

Can anyone tell me the statues for these turtles? i can still get one for 600 bucks but that's pretty expensive,

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Im pretty sure that they are no longer being imported but you can buy captive bred ones still in canada. Unless something has changed very recently.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Canada can import captive raised from malasia i believe. 600 is not a lot the price has gone up considerably and are astronimacal in the US because we can not import the captive born

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
All countries where the FRT is native have banned all trade in live FRTs. All available hatchlings are illegal imports.

BTW, there are zero captive bred hatchlings available since there are zero captive breeders (except for an accidental zoo breeding resulting in 2 hatched eggs a decade ago).

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
All countries where the FRT is native have banned alltrade in live FRTs. All available hatchlings are illegal imports.

BTW, there are zero captive bred hatchlings available since there are zero captive breeders (except for an accidental zoo breeding resulting in 2 hatched eggs a decade ago).
Oddball,

I am not disagreeing with you as i have not looked into it in a while, but i thought they collected eggs in Malaysia then hatched and sold as captive born to get around the restrictions to countries other than the us?

And if you are correct i guess i should break down and buy one of the few still available...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not Malaysia. The last country that permitted live hatchling exports was Indonesia. Earlier this year, Indonesia followed Australia, Papua New Guinea, and Mainland China in banning all trade in live FRTs. Indonesia still allows egg nest harvesting for food markets. Any hatchings from egg collections are to be ignored if at the nest sites or the hatchlings hatched in transit remain in the food markets and are not permitted to be exported out of the country.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Not Malaysia. The last country that permitted live hatchling exports was Indonesia. Earlier this year, Indonesia followed Australia, Papua New Guinea, and Mainland China in banning all trade in live FRTs. Indonesia still allows egg nest harvesting for food markets. Any hatchings from egg collections are to be ignored if at the nest sites or the hatchlings hatched in transit remain in the food markets and are not permitted to be exported out of the country.
Thanks, sorry meant indo, not malays.... Well I guess i am FRT shopping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store