Are my Angelfish sick? Please advise!

PerpetualKid313

Feeder Fish
Jul 17, 2019
Hello, all!
About a month or so ago I purchased two angelfish from my LPS, both very small but also very healthy. I added them my already cycled and planted 38 gallon freshwater tank and I’ve happily watched them grow and thrive. They’re now large enough for me to sex (male and female) and they are just a huge joy to have. Yesterday I noticed a bit of pink running vertically along the dorsal fin on my yellow male. It’s not red, he didn’t appear ill, so I just figured I’d watch it. Today I see the same pink on the females dorsal fin (she’s behaving normally as well). Is this something that is normal and I’m only noticing it because they’ve grown so much, or could something be wrong?

Tank specs:
Planted 38 gallon freshwater tank, 5 mos old. Weekly water changes of 20-40%, depending (currently trying to clear up water since driftwood added before angels arrived is still leaching tannins). No CO2. Heat at 78.
Tankmates:
3 xlarge ghost shrimp, 8 guppies (3 recent additions transferred from another tank of mine)

I test weekly, and tested again today to troubleshoot:
pH: 7.4
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
KH: 4
GH: 8

Everyone else in the tank is fine, and behavior wise, so are they. I’m just trying to get ahead of a problem, if there is one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Nothing in the photos looks out of the way to me. I'd be (or get) more worried if you start to see fin damage, bumps, white spots, red streaks, gills turning red, etc.

What are you feeding? Possible there's just a lot of red pigment color enhancers in the food affecting their color. Depending on the exact strain of angelfish, a bit of red tones might be normal for them as they develop, though the coincidence of the two different types seems odd. But-- there are some populations of 'silver' type angels in the wild that have some red to copper color in them.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, all!
About a month or so ago I purchased two angelfish from my LPS, both very small but also very healthy. I added them my already cycled and planted 38 gallon freshwater tank and I’ve happily watched them grow and thrive. They’re now large enough for me to sex (male and female) and they are just a huge joy to have. Yesterday I noticed a bit of pink running vertically along the dorsal fin on my yellow male. It’s not red, he didn’t appear ill, so I just figured I’d watch it. Today I see the same pink on the females dorsal fin (she’s behaving normally as well). Is this something that is normal and I’m only noticing it because they’ve grown so much, or could something be wrong?

Tank specs:
Planted 38 gallon freshwater tank, 5 mos old. Weekly water changes of 20-40%, depending (currently trying to clear up water since driftwood added before angels arrived is still leaching tannins). No CO2. Heat at 78.
Tankmates:
3 xlarge ghost shrimp, 8 guppies (3 recent additions transferred from another tank of mine)

I test weekly, and tested again today to troubleshoot:
pH: 7.4
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
KH: 4
GH: 8

Everyone else in the tank is fine, and behavior wise, so are they. I’m just trying to get ahead of a problem, if there is one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 1380386View attachment 1380385

I personally don't see anything wrong and both Angelfish look good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store