Are my silver dollars Confused??

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Indeed Metynnis sp.. Very nice fish and having a school of 13 is sweet!

That's the problem of common names (i.e. red hook sd's or spotted sd's, or 'regular sd's'). They don't mean a thing without seeing the specimen, and even then, only to the trained eyed sd keeper.
Among 'regular' sds, you get at least 3 (our of the ~16 described taxa), sometimes one more species mixed in, and which is common at any one time changes sometime over time.

What is considered red hook is Myleus rubripinnis, a larger sd. Differences: Females have a long red hook. Males a bilobed, not as red hook. They get larger than all Metynnis (7-9"?). They have a smaller, shorter adipose fin than all Metynnis. All Metynnis have a substantially longer adipose fin (relatively), and the common species in the trade max out at 5.5-6.5" in aquariums.

Mock breeding behavior in Metynnis is relatively common.

RE- id. as hypsauchen. maybe yes, maybe not. Maybe the group has more than one species.

Without trying to steal the thread, I post two images of two of my males, which are certainly two different species, and which I consider Metynnis cf altidorsalis, and Metynnis cf maculatus, respectively. They have been in the same aquarium for ~2 years, in a group of 8 fish (3 species of Metynnis). The 4 adults fish (2 species represented), all 'mock breed' with others, but never actual breeding.

Many thanks for posting the images. Awesome fish. Well kept. There is some nipping going on.
What size tank, filtration, others?

SilverDollars_29May2019_JESUS_M.altidorsalis_COMP.jpg

SilverDollars_29May2019_JACK_M.maculatus_COMP.jpg

Antj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
Indeed Metynnis sp.. Very nice fish and having a school of 13 is sweet!

That's the problem of common names (i.e. red hook sd's or spotted sd's, or 'regular sd's'). They don't mean a thing without seeing the specimen, and even then, only to the trained eyed sd keeper.
Among 'regular' sds, you get at least 3 (our of the ~16 described taxa), sometimes one more species mixed in, and which is common at any one time changes sometime over time.

What is considered red hook is Myleus rubripinnis, a larger sd. Differences: Females have a long red hook. Males a bilobed, not as red hook. They get larger than all Metynnis (7-9"?). They have a smaller, shorter adipose fin than all Metynnis. All Metynnis have a substantially longer adipose fin (relatively), and the common species in the trade max out at 5.5-6.5" in aquariums.

Mock breeding behavior in Metynnis is relatively common.

RE- id. as hypsauchen. maybe yes, maybe not. Maybe the group has more than one species.

Without trying to steal the thread, I post two images of two of my males, which are certainly two different species, and which I consider Metynnis cf altidorsalis, and Metynnis cf maculatus, respectively. They have been in the same aquarium for ~2 years, in a group of 8 fish (3 species of Metynnis). The 4 adults fish (2 species represented), all 'mock breed' with others, but never actual breeding.

Many thanks for posting the images. Awesome fish. Well kept. There is some nipping going on.
What size tank, filtration, others?

View attachment 1401854

View attachment 1401855
They are in a 6x2x2 with an fx6 and their tank mates are a pair of jd's a big silver arowana and a few smaller fish like a 4inch jag n a 3inch yellow jacket

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I see spawing action among my SDs on occasion. Usually it is one of the smaller spotted SD trying to get it on with one of the larger SD. I am not sure which varieties I have. Some are spotted on the body, some have spotted dorsal, and there are some red hook? Old pictures. I need
to take some new.
90G_2.jpg
Spotted silver dollar.jpgSpotted silver dollar_2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store