Are there any vegetables I can feed my Red Tailed Catfish?

Mathew._.8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I just wanted to know if there are any types of vegetables I can feed my 6 inch RTC. Anything that could perhaps boost the red color on the tail...

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
There are a number of more experienced redtail owners on here than myself (whilst I have almost always owned one, some on here have many) but in my experience, getting a redtail to eat vegetables will be like getting kids to eat sprouts, extremely difficult and very hit n miss. They may/will do it but generally by stopping feeding them what they do eat, which is not good. A good varied, nutritious diet may work better and be easier to achieve.
As for promoting the red, I have a niggling recollection that the amount of red in the tail is due to regional and geographic location variances, but again someone will be able to advise if my memory is correct. That said, it generally does get redder over the first few months/inches and my last one started life with an almost white tail at 3" but is now a more pinky red at 12" .
Very happy to be corrected on this one.

Mathew._.8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
There are a number of more experienced redtail owners on here than myself (whilst I have almost always owned one, some on here have many) but in my experience, getting a redtail to eat vegetables will be like getting kids to eat sprouts, extremely difficult and very hit n miss. They may/will do it but generally by stopping feeding them what they do eat, which is not good. A good varied, nutritious diet may work better and be easier to achieve.
As for promoting the red, I have a niggling recollection that the amount of red in the tail is due to regional and geographic location variances, but again someone will be able to advise if my memory is correct. That said, it generally does get redder over the first few months/inches and my last one started life with an almost white tail at 3" but is now a more pinky red at 12" .
Very happy to be corrected on this one.
I tried to feed it guppies that I breed but it spat the guppy out. It doesn't eat pellets... I asked the fish shop vendor and he feeds it live fish. But the problem is that I have 2 pacus and 4 Oscars in my tank who are very fast and aggressive and they will probably gobble up the live fish before the rtc has a chance. I got the RTC yesterday and I am keeping him inside a laundry basket that is inside the tank(900gal) for a bit so it won't be attacked by my other fishes mistaking it for food. Can I feed it dead salt water fishes or chicken liver/heart?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Mine has been on coley fish pieces since a baby and now hand feeds on whole fillets. I also feed mussel meat and high protein pellets to the pond he is in. I would suggest a decent cave or two where he can get away from the others and using a length of 2" diameter pipe you can target feed him , putting the fish pieces down it right to his cave and bypassing the gannets. I would never recommend feeding live fish as this sets you up for an expensive problem as well as being unethical. To introduce him you may need to feed the tank at the opposite end to his cave, make sure everyone is fed well (although if anything like my Oscars they will feed until they cannot fit anymore in their mouths) and make sure you lower him to the bottom to his new house. Once in I would expect them to leave him alone at 6" .
Obviously no guarantees.

Mathew._.8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Mine has been on coley fish pieces since a baby and now hand feeds on whole fillets. I also feed mussel meat and high protein pellets to the pond he is in. I would suggest a decent cave or two where he can get away from the others and using a length of 2" diameter pipe you can target feed him , putting the fish pieces down it right to his cave and bypassing the gannets. I would never recommend feeding live fish as this sets you up for an expensive problem as well as being unethical. To introduce him you may need to feed the tank at the opposite end to his cave, make sure everyone is fed well (although if anything like my Oscars they will feed until they cannot fit anymore in their mouths) and make sure you lower him to the bottom to his new house. Once in I would expect them to leave him alone at 6" .
Obviously no guarantees.
A cave li20191020_133157.jpg20191020_133130.jpg20191020_133157.jpgke this?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, except I think Dave didn't mean inside the same basket but in the tank.

It may not feed in the basket anyway as it may be stressful for the fish.

Red tail best diet is pellets and thawed fish. They don't eat vegetables usually. The red color is brightened by including a fair share of crustaceans carrying red pigment but not too much all the time or thiaminase issues may arise.

Paprika can be added to their feed in moderation and it should intensify the red.

Yeah, hoards of hungry mouths in your tank. The RTC best bet to get any feed is at night in full darkness.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store