Are these Almond dead Leaves of any benefit for my fishes or it is just a myth?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I bought 10 of these so called almond dead leaves for 10 bucks. I put them in aquarium and I do not see any difference in my fishes or anything else. Are these leaves really of any benefit ? or it is just a myth and another way for the fish shop owners to rip of the customers?
I read that it also lowers the PH of the water? Will it harm my fishes if I change the water, as if it is going to lower the PH and the new tap water has higher ph then in this case could it do more harm than it’s benefit?
I would appreciate if you could share your experience.
how to identify if the leaves are really authenticated almond leave?
how to know if it really helps the fishes? Are you or have you used these or should it be used regularly or sometimes? Whatabout the lowering of PH will it cause any issue?
thank youD30ADD88-0718-4387-8A7D-58A89C9DF9B1.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

aroijuana

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
New Jersey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because its the rainy season, water drains off certain vegetation into my tank situated outside, so the system is seasonally inundated.
E0176B4D-DD9B-441F-AFCB-7D678DE16630_1_201_a.jpeg
As you can see from the link in the post above, using quite a lot of almond leaves in my 300 gallon system made nary a dent.
If you really want the benefits of the antibacterial tannins, there are more economical ways.
When I lived in the US, I collected and soaked oak and magnolia leaves for my tiny killifish tanks.
But buying peat moss would be a better choice for larger tanks, and Reeiobos tea bagswould be another option.
Being organic Tannins aren't permanent and need to be regularly replaced.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The wind before a storm might blow a million leaves off an Indian Almond tree, and the rain would wash a rich, slightly acidic mix of tannins into the local waterways.

I might collect up a few sacks of the leaves and keep them for use in my fish tanks for the next few weeks.

I bought 10 of these so called almond dead leaves for 10 bucks.
Save your money and find a more local source of tannins.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
The short answer is yes, 100% proven that there are many benefits of tannins from IAL or other sources for many species of fish. As noted, IAL (indian almond leaves) are not the only source out there.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Lowering pH or adding significant amounts of tannins are not the only reasons for adding leaves to aquaria. For pH, huge amounts of leaves would be needed, for a minor effect. For tannins, about the same but less so. When I was into discus, I used to buy sphagnum moss by the bale, to ‘condition’ storaged water used for water changes. Effect on pH was minimal, but the fish seemed to like the slightly brown water.
Now a days, I use magnolia leaves for a different reason. The fish love playing with and among them (cories go crazy playing and hiding, plecos eat the surface material), and the other fish don’t mind them. I thing they mimic materials in natural habitats, whether they affect pH or not.
In the photo, at right, a leaf after 1 week in the tank showing mostly the effect of bushynose pleco; at left, a new leaf going in. I put 3-5 leaves in a 6 foot tank, and 2 in a 40gal.
I have a large Magnolia grandiflora tree in my backyard, and unlimited leaves. If anybody (local) wants some, come on by.
Oak leaves work too, I have used them in the past, but like Magnolia or almond better. B2C58458-6721-4F7A-B2A5-85EF854432BD.jpeg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
P professorjimjam It appears you are in Denmark. You could wait till the autumn, when all the leaves are turning red and brown, and falling off the trees. Then scoop up a few sacks full. They might not be quite as good as Indian Almond leaves, but they would have a great assortment of tannins. And it would cost you nothing.

If you want a more concentrated source, get a bunch of leaves and boil them up in a saucepan full of water. You can then (when it is cold) pour it directly into the tank.

Reactions: professorjimjam
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store