Are these fish plant safe?

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
It may be a bad idea but I have some geophagus, clown loaches, and a fire eel that I’m considering adding some plants with. I know they’ll be fine with Anubias and other nonplanted species, but I really want to try out some jungle Val. I’m thinking since all these fish are “diggers” in their own way, it’s probably going to be a bad idea. I’ve read that the Val’s are a hardy plant with deep root systems but I’ve seen the fire eel TEAR through the tank! It will get under the driftwood and even move that!
The more I type, the more I think this is a bad idea:shakehead

Any suggestions here? I’m looking for a low tech plant that will grow taller and survive with the fish listed. I’ve got pretty good flow in the tank but that can be adjusted. :help2:

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you have an area of the tank you are wanting to plant you can put down the substrate and plant the jungle Val , you may even consider planting it in small containers.
Once it’s planted you can discourage digging around the planted area by laying rocks between the plants an small stones scattered around to fill in any gaps. Letting the Val come up between the stones.
It could look really nice if you plan the rest of the scape with driftwood and stones similar to the ones used around the plants to tie it all together.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
If you have an area of the tank you are wanting to plant you can put down the substrate and plant the jungle Val , you may even consider planting it in small containers.
Once it’s planted you can discourage digging around the planted area by laying rocks between the plants an small stones scattered around to fill in any gaps. Letting the Val come up between the stones.
It could look really nice if you plan the rest of the scape with driftwood and stones similar to the ones used around the plants to tie it all together.
That’s a good suggestion. I’ve seen some scapes where the rocks create the border and have wondered if that would be sufficient enough to keep the eel at bay.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If the tank is big enough and you have enough shaded cave like areas for the eel to hide, you maybe able to get away with it...

But i think if you went with Big G’s method you’ll have the best chances... You might even want to consider some of the Cryptocoreyne species of plants as they can also grow very strong / long root systems once they settle...

Reactions: Rob909 and tlindsey

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
If the tank is big enough and you have enough shaded cave like areas for the eel to hide, you maybe able to get away with it...

But i think if you went with Big G’s method you’ll have the best chances... You might even want to consider some of the Cryptocoreyne species of plants as they can also grow very strong / long root systems once they settle...
Good suggestion, I could probably do some crypts along the sides of the tank and keep the foreground bare for the diggers. This way I can keep enough caves in the foreground.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, my old fire eel never dug at all since the whole tank was filled with driftwood that created a labyrinth of caves for him to explore...

So i guess as long as they feel comfrotable enough they wont dig, however there is no guarantee due to their size they wont potentially knock plants out of place at the beginning stages...

Reactions: Rob909 and tlindsey

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Yeah, my old fire eel never dug at all since the whole tank was filled with driftwood that created a labyrinth of caves for him to explore...

So i guess as long as they feel comfrotable enough they wont dig, however there is no guarantee due to their size they wont potentially knock plants out of place at the beginning stages...
You’ve inspired my creativity! Maybe I’ll put a hose/pipe that will run along the back of the tank in a U-shape that my eel could hide in. I could build up the substrate in the back and just leave the two holes open. Hide the exposed pipe with driftwood and plant the raised substrate on top!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You’ve inspired my creativity! Maybe I’ll put a hose/pipe that will run along the back of the tank in a U-shape that my eel could hide in. I could build up the substrate in the back and just leave the two holes open. Hide the exposed pipe with driftwood and plant the raised substrate on top!
Now you’re getting the idea, but instead of just two openings, why not use 2 PVC pipes / Hoses to create more caves, coz you never know where they will enjoy being...

Just make sure that the hose / pipe has a wide enough opening for the eel as it grows, coz last thing you want to do is dig it all up a month or two down the line due to eel growth or him getting stuck after stuffing himself...

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Now you’re getting the idea, but instead of just two openings, why not use 2 PVC pipes / Hoses to create more caves, coz you never know where they will enjoy being...

Just make sure that the hose / pipe has a wide enough opening for the eel as it grows, coz last thing you want to do is dig it all up a month or two down the line due to eel growth or him getting stuck after stuffing himself...
Yeah maybe I can do 2 of those. One on either side of the tank instead of one in the middle.

I was thinking around a 3” opening. That’s a lot of deep substrate though.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah maybe I can do 2 of those. One on either side of the tank instead of one in the middle.

I was thinking around a 3” opening. That’s a lot of deep substrate though.
You could also cheat and just coat the hose / pipe in aquarium safe silicone followed by a layer of sand, stones, rock, driftwood pieces or basically anything you like, that suits your tanks scape...

The other option would be to try and get some moss attached and growing across the pipe for a more natural look...

Both methods should save you some substrte lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store