Are these fish plant safe?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about planting the tank first, to allowthe plants to establish firmly, maybe even allowing it to be Geo-less for a month.
Some small stones or pea gravel near plants could help dissuade earth eaters from digging in the planted areas.
I use pool filter sand, but add other random sized pieces to imitate nature.
A couple under water shots from a tributary of the Magdalena river in Colombia to illustrate.
fullsizeoutput_2d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_306.jpeg

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Aquascape.png This is an illustration of the plan I have. Vals against the back wall, and different colored crypts on the sides. Different sized rocks to border everything, and driftwood to hide the tube for the eel. Empty foreground with pool filter sand. I could do everything inside the rock border with planted tank substrate to help the roots establish and take hold.

The geos aren't a problem to keep out of the tank, they're around an inch long and the fire eel is about a foot already. They have some growing out to do before I can put them in the tank anyways. The eel would be present during the planting, he would be the issue as he acclimates to the new scape, I think. I don't have a separate tank for him at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store