Are you thinking about trying discus...

Marryjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2023
United State
www.reefinabox.com
Hi all.. Please understand this is not a rant but offered as hopefully helpful to those thinking about trying discus.. Many of the threads over the past few months echo the same questions and concerns so I thought, being a many times discus keeper but certainly not an expert, this might be helpful to some just getting started..
There are many great folks on this forum with lots of experience and info we all suggest that before you purchase any discus you read read read.. They are a wonderful fish to keep and while not as difficult to keep as some would think they do require more of a commitment than raising your average freshwater tropical.. So read here on this forum and simplydiscus, a forum devoted to this wonderful fish and then decide if you wish to make both the dollar and time commitment.. If yes... go for it.. and, while there are many different takes on raising discus, for the tank bred strains, I humbly suggest the following.
Discus are a social fish to thrive they need to be in groups of at least 4 or 5 (the bigger the group the better)or be a mated pair.. If you have 2 or 3 they eventually end up as 1.. They are cichlids afterall..
Allow 10 gallons per discus.. as adults they are big fish.. imagine a cd in your tank for each discus
Discus need warm clean water.. Most of us keep the temps between 82-84.
Clean water means lots of water changes.. As adults at least once a week 40%.. twice a week is better and more the norm.. as juvies every day or two is usually considered minimal.. juvies can easily become stunted from improper care..
There is a big difference between keeping adults and keeping juvies.. The adults require less feedings and therefore less water changes and can easily be placed in a planted tank.. the juvies require more feedings make bigger messes and therefore require more water changes which are not ideal for plants.. so bare bottom is the easiest way to go.
Discus are expensive sensitive fish.. if you are just starting I suggest a discus only tank with perhaps a bn and some tetras that can take the heat. Once you are experienced you may want to add other peaceful fish.. Lots of folks try different combos and it's difficult to know what will work in someones tank so always have a backup plan..
Quarantine tanks are essential.. they can be something as simple as a food safe plastic rubbermaid bin, heater and airstone/filter.. but anything going into a discus tank should be quarantined..
Try and if possible buy all your discus at the same time from the same breeder.. Unless you have an exceptional lfs in your area, I suggest you buy from a breeder.. preferrably in your local area so you can see the setup and pick your fish.. if none are available locally the sponsors section on simplydiscus lists them as well as feedback.. The folks here can help as well..

Really if you start with quality fish, a commitment to their care (water changes water changes water changes) and a love for the look of these graceful creatures gliding across your tank, you will have a wonderful discus keeping experience. If you are lucky enough to have a pair form and spawn it's an exciting thing to see.
I hesitated in writing this and hope I have not been too presumptuous or stepped on anyone's toes in offering this advice. It is merely meant to be advice as I know that many folks with experience do not respond to many beginner threads as they feel the op's often have not taken the time to investigate the info about these fish, and so why should they take the time to respond to their questions. Everyone has to start somewhere and I would hate to see folks discouraged from keeping these wonderful fish because they haven't been given a hand and answers to their questions.. Hope this helps someone and those of you with personal experience feel free to comment, add info etc.. HTH Sue:D

For further inquiries about the discus profile, please post them here. I made a separate thread to make it easier for us to sift through the information.
Added information can be found here.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2947077#post2947077
Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom, Sue. Your contribution will undoubtedly inspire and empower countless enthusiasts as they embark on their own discus-keeping endeavors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store