Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Still waiting...

Anybody have some experiences with feeding monster fish along with turtles?

How do you go about doing this???

Hey guys, what out for Del the spam police! - LOL j/k

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Gr8KarmaSF said:
Any thoughts on getting a soft shell on krill and pellets? Hard to do or what?!?!?
No, especially when you get them started young. I feed mine tutle pellets, koi pellets, krill, and aros. J/K no aros, but I do give them live fish about once or twice a month. That is when they behave naturally. They don't even notice me when I'm in the room if live food is around.

And as for feeding turtles with aros... I don't think it would be that much of a problem. Softshells are some of the fastest turtles I can think of. And that goes for their eating habits too.

A 1-2" softshell with a 1' aro, the softshell might get eaten. remember they are soft and very pliable when young. A 3-4" would not have a problem with a foot long aro in my opinion.

Another thing, softshells can grow large, females in particular. A one year old male florida softshell might get a 3-4" shell while a female might get 5-6". And after the first year female softshells really start to grow like weeds. My female Florida has grown 5 to 6 times larger than my male in the past 2.5 years. She is about a foot now. One thing softshells do in the wild, that wouldn't be good for an aro, is they will eat any fish they can and take a bite out of ones that are to big to eat whole. I have seen this a few times. My florida softshells stayed in a koi pond for a few months this summer and a few fish have wounds to show for it. Just a warning. I wouldn't keep softshells with an aro, to many conflicts come to mind. But if you feel you need to, make sure the size is comparable (1' aro with a 5" softshell). Good luck.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
How do you sex a soft shell? Is there any way to tell when they are really young?

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
If you can get a pig nosed or fly river turtle, those are fully acquatic.

However, arn't they on the CITES appendix?

Should be by tail length for turtle sexing.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Gr8KarmaSF said:
How do you sex a soft shell? Is there any way to tell when they are really young?
I have found with florida softshells, the ones with the thicker and brighter orange band around the edge of the shell are usually males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store