Aro staying at bottom of tank. Seems like he has difficulty in swimming too. Tail lower than body when he swims

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
We adopted it 2 months ago. Probbaly around 16 inches. And a 70 gallon tank
BINGO! Post #20 and we finally have a picture developing. Firstly, that fish must be as miserable as can be in that size tank, it can't be helping it's situation at all, have you any plans for an upgrade should it pull through? You say nitrate was "an issue before". What level of nitrate (before) are we talking about, and how long was it swimming in this nitrate infested soup?

We also have no background info on the previous set up it was in prior to you adopting it. For all we know it could have been exposed to heavy nitrate in the past too. Also, the nipped fins point to other potential issues, but for now i'll stick my neck out and say it could be a long term water quality issue which is finally catching up with it.

I hope i'm wrong and that it's something and nothing that can be treated. But whatever, it needs a bigger home! Good luck.

Reactions: tlindsey

Piopips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2020
I would agree. It was a little neglected by the previous owner since pandemic started. I they didnt have time to go home to their vacation home often due tonpandemic. that's why they decided to give it up. Same tank size. We got everything - setup and all when we got him. Nitrate was playing around 40-80. Took us a month to get it below 40. And yes, definitely plan to upgrade to a bigger tank bit still torn between should we onvest on a bigger tank jow knowing that the aro is sick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store