Arowana brushing side on substrate

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Ok, so with that water quality I would aim to fix that before anything else. I'm not sure exactly what the situation with your giraffe catfish is or if it's related to the Arowana, we would need more information on what his symptoms are.

Fish can flash for different reasons, sometimes it is a display of dominance and I have heard that bad water quality can be a cause too, but a lot of the times parasites seem to be the cause. As for the Praziquantel treatment you brought up, as far as I know, that is for worms. I could be wrong but I wouldn't go dosing your tank with it before you know what you are even dealing with. If none of the fish are showing clear signs of infection, make your #1 priority to fix your water, do daily water changes and perhaps get a larger filter if it is having trouble keeping up. If you are going to mess with the PH, make sure it is gradual and read more about it. I have heard quite a few times that a bad PH is better than a sudden change in PH. There is a real possibility of parasites with flashing and sometimes you will not see them at first, that does not mean they are not there. What fish have you added to the tank recently and did you quarantine them beforehand?

I will let somebody with more fish disease expertise chime in, I am in no way an expert but I do know your priority right now should be to fix your water quality.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Matteus

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, so with that water quality I would aim to fix that before anything else. I'm not sure exactly what the situation with your giraffe catfish is or if it's related to the Arowana, we would need more information on what his symptoms are.

Fish can flash for different reasons, sometimes it is a display of dominance and I have heard that bad water quality can be a cause too, but a lot of the times parasites seem to be the cause. As for the Praziquantel treatment you brought up, as far as I know, that is for worms. I could be wrong but I wouldn't go dosing your tank with it before you know what you are even dealing with. If none of the fish are showing clear signs of infection, make your #1 priority to fix your water, do daily water changes and perhaps get a larger filter if it is having trouble keeping up. If you are going to mess with the PH, make sure it is gradual and read more about it. I have heard quite a few times that a bad PH is better than a sudden change in PH. There is a real possibility of parasites with flashing and sometimes you will not see them at first, that does not mean they are not there. What fish have you added to the tank recently and did you quarantine them beforehand?

I will let somebody with more fish disease expertise chime in, I am in no way an expert but I do know your priority right now should be to fix your water quality.
^
This

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store