Arowana not eating and open it’s mouth rapidly

Mouniros_83

Feeder Fish
Jun 22, 2019
Hello anyone can help me to know how I can deal with this issue my arowana all of a sudden started to open and close it’s mouth rapidly and stopped eating it’s totally ignoring the food even though I have a flowerhorn and an Oscar fish with it and they are eating normally lately I had a break in my sump glass and needed to be fixed and had a heater leaking electricity is that might be the issue but again all my other fishes are eating normally and my arowana is swimming normally only issue is the breathing and the fasting issue thx in adv for the help

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello anyone can help me to know how I can deal with this issue my arowana all of a sudden started to open and close it’s mouth rapidly and stopped eating it’s totally ignoring the food even though I have a flowerhorn and an Oscar fish with it and they are eating normally lately I had a break in my sump glass and needed to be fixed and had a heater leaking electricity is that might be the issue but again all my other fishes are eating normally and my arowana is swimming normally only issue is the breathing and the fasting issue thx in adv for the help

Welcome aboard

What is your water change routine?
When was the last time you tested your water parameters?
Have you noticed any aggression from the Oscar or the FlowerHorn?

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome aboard

What is your water change routine?
When was the last time you tested your water parameters?
Have you noticed any aggression from the Oscar or the FlowerHorn?
Answer these questions as it’ll help to guide advice.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Arowanas stop eating and start laboured breathing, it's stress.

Now why it is stressed can be extrapolated after you give more info

Reactions: tlindsey

Mouniros_83

Feeder Fish
Jun 22, 2019
I usually change 20% of water monthly coz iam ruining a sump on my tank as for my water parameters I have 0 ammonia and my ph around 6.8 and I already remove the Oscar coz it was not getting along with the flowerhorn but I never noticed any aggression on my aro

Mouniros_83

Feeder Fish
Jun 22, 2019
And since the issue I already done a 70% water change and iam doing a 20% today is that should help ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
And since the issue I already done a 70% water change and iam doing a 20% today is that should help ?

I suggest doing a minimum 50% or more water change weekly. You must stay consistent with the water changes or you will do more harm than good. Drastic PH fluctuations will be dangerous to your fish. 20% monthly is not good at all even with a sump especially with Large and messy eaters like Oscar's.

Reactions: AnthonyFish20

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I usually change 20% of water monthly coz iam ruining a sump on my tank as for my water parameters I have 0 ammonia and my ph around 6.8 and I already remove the Oscar coz it was not getting along with the flowerhorn but I never noticed any aggression on my aro
You need to be doing 40-50% a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store