Arowana Swimming at One side of tank on top

aradhya30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
I brought my Arowana home yesterday. He was moving in the whole tank but today in the morning I switched on my tank led light and he got scared. After that I switched off the light and now he's swimming only at one side. My right side of 4ft tank has a power filter. Is he afraid of the flow coming out from the filter? My left side has a heater placed with 28°C temp I have swtiched off it yesterday as the water felt warm to my hands. What to do?

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I brought my Arowana home yesterday. He was moving in the whole tank but today in the morning I switched on my tank led light and he got scared. After that I switched off the light and now he's swimming only at one side. My right side of 4ft tank has a power filter. Is he afraid of the flow coming out from the filter? My left side has a heater placed with 28°C temp I have swtiched off it yesterday as the water felt warm to my hands. What to do?
Lower the flow from the filter (I have sponge in front of my filter in my FH tank and it does wonders) and make sure the entire tank is the same temperature. Arowanas are top dwelling fish so don’t worry about seeing him at the top 24/7. When I had an arowana I found that if you slowly introduce light in the room with the tank in it then turn the light on after the aro has already gotten used to the light that it won’t stun or scare him.

Reactions: aradhya30

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
I agree with Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn about the surface dwelling. I suggest putting light on a timer . Totally normal for small Arowana to be skittish. You could add artificial floating plants to make young Aro feel more secure.
Are there other fish in the aquarium?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Welcome aboard
I agree with Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn about the surface dwelling. I suggest putting light on a timer . Totally normal for small Arowana to be skittish. You could add artificial floating plants to make young Aro feel more secure.
Are there other fish in the aquarium?
+1 add some type of floating plant for sure as it’ll help with a lot of things with the fish. Don’t agree that the light should be put on a timer as that would still be turning on a sudden bright light which will stun/scare the fish and stress him out greatly but I instead suggest ( if it’s possible) to find a type of light or timer that you can set up that will slowly turn the light on in a span of 10-15 minutes so instead of immediately introducing light it would slowly get brighter and brighter until the lights fully on. Or just get a dimmer light.

aradhya30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
Lower the flow from the filter (I have sponge in front of my filter in my FH tank and it does wonders) and make sure the entire tank is the same temperature. Arowanas are top dwelling fish so don’t worry about seeing him at the top 24/7. When I had an arowana I found that if you slowly introduce light in the room with the tank in it then turn the light on after the aro has already gotten used to the light that it won’t stun or scare him.
My Arowana certificate is black in color and it doesn't mention the farm from which it came. But it does mention Indonesia. Is the certificate real?Certificate Arowana.jpg

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Still adjusting. When I first got mine it took nearly 2 months for it to let me get near the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store