Arowana's attitude

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Hello! My 15 inch asian arowana the last two months has grown quite an attitude, has been more aggressive, but the most important, he will not eat anything else except fresh fish.

My feeding schedule is one day fresh (like prawns or fish or mussels) and the other pellets. Previously, he was eating everything offered. Now he will even spit prawns. And he is doing it with a very annnoying attitude, like he is saying "man give me fish or I will not accept anything else".

What should I do? Should I keep with my feeding schedule until he decides to eat? He skips like 4-5 meals every week and only eats the two days I'm feeding fish and sometimes he MAY accept mussels.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello! My 15 inch asian arowana the last two months has grown quite an attitude, has been more aggressive, but the most important, he will not eat anything else except fresh fish.

My feeding schedule is one day fresh (like prawns or fish or mussels) and the other pellets. Previously, he was eating everything offered. Now he will even spit prawns. And he is doing it with a very annnoying attitude, like he is saying "man give me fish or I will not accept anything else".

What should I do? Should I keep with my feeding schedule until he decides to eat? He skips like 4-5 meals every week and only eats the two days I'm feeding fish and sometimes he MAY accept mussels.

Is it live fish? You could stop feeding the fish for a few days and offer the other foods and see what happens. If fish is live feeders make sure you quarantine them prior to feeding to the Aro.

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
no, I have never given him live. This is difficult because there is also a stingray in the tank and I can't stop its feeding too.

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Ok just keep offering the foods and the Aro may eat them again hopefully. The good thing the Arowana is eating.
So the aro possibly could have an issue? Also this hopefully dosn't sound good :p It seems to me like only a matter of bad attitude. Anyone else with such experience?

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Feed the stingrays with your hand if you don't want the Aro to eat fish (smelt I guess?), and if thats not possible, feet the rays through a thick PVC pipe so the Aro can't get to the food.
And starve the Aro for a week, then try to feed him shrimp/mussles... if he doesn't want it, try again a week later etc.

A 15 inch Aro can easily take a month without food so don't worry about that.

I can relate a lot to your issue btw, my old Arowana used to be the same. When I got him, he ate literally everything I offered him for months. Tilapia, mussles, shrimps and all kinds of pellets. And all of a sudden he did the same things yours does; didn't want anything except smelt (fish) and literally only that.

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Feed the stingrays with your hand if you don't want the Aro to eat fish (smelt I guess?), and if thats not possible, feet the rays through a thick PVC pipe so the Aro can't get to the food.
And starve the Aro for a week, then try to feed him shrimp/mussles... if he doesn't want it, try again a week later etc.

A 15 inch Aro can easily take a month without food so don't worry about that.

I can relate a lot to your issue btw, my old Arowana used to be the same. When I got him, he ate literally everything I offered him for months. Tilapia, mussles, shrimps and all kinds of pellets. And all of a sudden he did the same things yours does; didn't want anything except smelt (fish) and literally only that.
ok thanks for your answer! having the same experience is a bit relaxing! did you manage to get him to eat everything again?

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
ok thanks for your answer! having the same experience is a bit relaxing! did you manage to get him to eat everything again?
Yes I managed to do it with starving him, then after I had to move him... he did the same sh*t again and this time I just fed the rays a lot of shrimps and mussels and eventually he started to eat them on his own without starving him (although I fed him very little). But that took almost 2 months I think.

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Yes I managed to do it with starving him, then after I had to move him... he did the same sh*t again and this time I just fed the rays a lot of shrimps and mussels and eventually he started to eat them on his own without starving him (although I fed him very little). But that took almost 2 months I think.
ok I will do exactly the same... I'm just going to give him fish once a week to ensure he is eating something, and when he realises that this is going to be his only meal, I think he'll reconsider spitting those prawns. :asianarow:asianarow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store