arowanas keep dying

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
Hi i wanted to know if anyone can help me figure out why my silver arowanas keep dying. I have bought three so far and they all died. Its getting pretty expensive. The guy at the lfs told me they were pretty easy to take care of. Anyways, I had one in a 30 gallon tank and it did fine for a while but one day i came in and it was just swimming wildly all around in circles and upside down and also twisting. I want to know what might have been wrong with it and what caused it. Two of them died like this. The last one was my fault though, I mistakenly put the 6 inch arowana with my 12inch tiger shovelnose thinking it would be fine but the next morning i woke up and the arowana was gone. I looked everywhere but when i looked at the tiger shovelnose in the corner (with a smile on his face i swear) I knew what happened. His stomach was also swollen way more than usual.

ole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2004
FARGO
i have never had a problems with silver, but are you sure all your water parameters are good? i know aros are sensitive to ammonia, did you do any large water changes or anything? how long has the tank been set up? i do know that juvy blacks are way more sensitive than the silvers.

cmersits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Yorktown, New York
my silver arowana died like the way you described, it is prob from an internal parasite or swim bladder infection. mine became sick after a 4 day power outage :( Are you doing enough water changes in the water? make sure you medicate your water to kill parasites. also live plants help keep my water cleaner :)

Syffe457

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
United States
How big are they when you buy one, cause I know that the one's under 6" tend to get sicker easier, try to get one between 9" to 12" they tend to do a lot better. You should also get some kind of flouting plant, fake or real the young aro's love the cover from it, if you use a real plant i'd use WATER SPRITE.

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
I agree with the plant idea. I have some fake plants that are real tall that end up drooping over and coving a portion of the surface (not too much), but they seem to appreciate it, especially babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store