Asian Leaf Fish (Nandus nandus) question?

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
Anyone familiar with Nandus nandus? I have two of them in my 65 gallon, pH arouns 7.8 and SG around 1.010. They have been in here for about two weeks now, but one of them has been acting really funny the last 2-3 days.

It has been laying on it's side on the bottom of the tank, which I know normally would not be a good sign. However, if I put food in the tank it gets up, eats with no issue, then it will swim around for a while but eventually goes and lays down on the substrate again. The other one has not done this at all, it's always swimming around or just hiding out near some of the live plants (never laying down though).

Anyone ever see this behavior before? I am not sure if its sick, or maybe this is a natural thing. It does always happen to be near a plant when it does this, often under a leaf, so perhaps its a natural behavior? I don't really know.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well I do have one Nandus Nandus its about two and a half inches in length,had it since the spring.Mine seems to behave in a similar manner,it does not swim around much just hiding behind something and grabbing a fish as it passes.Sometimes it wont eat at all just laying on the bottom but then it sometimes will dart out and snap up a small fish and return to its hideaway.I keep mine with my dats but I didnt know that they were brackish though.

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
krichardson;2752971;2752971 said:
Well I do have one Nandus Nandus its about two and a half inches in length,had it since the spring.Mine seems to behave in a similar manner,it does not swim around much just hiding behind something and grabbing a fish as it passes.Sometimes it wont eat at all just laying on the bottom but then it sometimes will dart out and snap up a small fish and return to its hideaway.I keep mine with my dats but I didnt know that they were brackish though.
Yeah, apparently they can live in fresh or brackish according to fishbase and previous posts here on MFK. I bought them as brackish fish but I dripped them a long time just in case they didn't come from true brackish.

The one you have, does it actually lay down on its side, or just hangs out down low in the tank?

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
I think it is disguising itself as a leaf.Sounds stupid but that is normal behavior.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mine does lay on its side sometimes.I keep it with my dats and it always gets the least of the food,sometimes it will sneak up on a feeder then move away in another direction.

christ4paul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
i had 3 nandus nandus they are the laziest fish ive ever owned. and yea it lays down completely on its side sometimes. i mistake it was dead several times until i tap the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store