Asian Ray breeder recommendations

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
A buddy and I are looking to import some high quality BD's from Asia as we can't afford them through UK dealers so thought would try buy direct and save few quid.

Seems to be quite a lot for sale on forums from Asia so must be coming from somewhere?! Lol

Anyone got any recommendations or experience?

Thanks in advance

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg would probably be a good resource for this

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I got a Buddy who lives outside New Orleans and he was looking to do the same thing. Problem is who do ya trust when dealing with someone from Asia? Anyone have experience with a seller from Thailand?

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
This is very true. There are a few bigger names farms I've found with decent websites, loads of YouTube videos etc to seem genuine however their prices are naturally higher, than those less established!

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I got a Buddy who lives outside New Orleans and he was looking to do the same thing. Problem is who do ya trust when dealing with someone from Asia? Anyone have experience with a seller from Thailand?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
This is very true. There are a few bigger names farms I've found with decent websites, loads of YouTube videos etc to seem genuine however their prices are naturally higher, than those less established!
It seems even among some reputable farms you can end up with less than ideal specimen, less reputable ones seem even more scary. So many farms out there, and likely some will be more experienced at shipping to certain countries than others.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Make sure the farm is registered with CITES and your order comes with certificates of origin or you'll pay all that money for fish and wildlife to confiscate your rays

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
By the time they get to you after shipping and import fees you will be paying about the same coin. Your also taking all the risk, so there is that. Those importers in the UK who are charging higher prices have had to find Asia sources the hard way. Many of them have been ripped off by thieves on many occassions. Hence why they don't want to hand over names of trusted suppliers...
Good trusted Asia sources are hard to find. Relationships are kept close. Good luck on your search.
Imo you would be better off getting some from a breeder like Richard, aquaman45 aquaman45 , or Jim, jim barry jim barry , or even someone like Jamie Barret.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
By the time they get to you after shipping and import fees you will be paying about the same coin. Your also taking all the risk, so there is that. Those importers in the UK who are charging higher prices have had to find Asia sources the hard way. Many of them have been ripped off by thieves on many occassions. Hence why they don't want to hand over names of trusted suppliers...
Good trusted Asia sources are hard to find. Relationships are kept close. Good luck on your search.
Imo you would be better off getting some from a breeder like Richard, aquaman45 aquaman45 , or Jim, jim barry jim barry , or even someone like Jamie Barret.
Yeah this is very true.

I have rays from aqua man already, and know of both the other two, just though it would be exciting to do as well as opposed to just buying. But then again you make a good point, and also if one was to be DOA would probably be a huge hassle to sort out.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Make sure the farm is registered with CITES and your order comes with certificates of origin or you'll pay all that money for fish and wildlife to confiscate your rays
Has the cites for Rays come in already?

Would I need to sort out a permit this end to receive them like you do with arowanas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store