Atabapo with ich (Heat only?)

Dsouth1103

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I just added an atabapo pike cichlid to my tank with my two red tail payaras and the forskahlii tiger fish. Everyone is getting along great but the pike now has ich.. I had the same thing happen when I first got the tats and cured it with a little heat and salt, i’m considering trying a heat only approach this time around as i’ve heard raising temps to 86° will kill the parasite. I’m sure the pike can handle it but i’m not sure about the tiger and the tats. Any suggestions?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
86f does not kill ich, it just stop it from reproducing. You need the heat at 90f to kill most strains of ich. The pike can handle 90f if you have enough aeration in the tank.

87f and 3ppt of salt (1tablespoon of fine grain pickling salt per gallon slowly added over 3 days) will also work and the pike will be fine. Maintain salt concentration for 14 days after no more white spot visible (ends up being 3 weeks with salt)

Dsouth1103

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2020
86f does not kill ich, it just stop it from reproducing. You need the heat at 90f to kill most strains of ich. The pike can handle 90f if you have enough aeration in the tank.

87f and 3ppt of salt (1tablespoon of fine grain pickling salt per gallon slowly added over 3 days) will also work and the pike will be fine. Maintain salt concentration for 14 days after no more white spot visible (ends up being 3 weeks with salt)
Would 90° be ok on the tiger and the payaras?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would 90° be ok on the tiger and the payaras?
Other fish can handle it but make sure there’s water movement in the tank with a pump or powerhead.

Reactions: Dsouth1103
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store