ATF ID forskalli or brevis??????

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
anychance any of you kind guys can help me out here.

picked up this guy today, took my vittatus in and part ex`d it on this guy.
hopeing its one of the smaller growing hydrocynus! never seen one like this here in the uk, well ive been off the scene for a while so might have missed new imports ect.

fugupuff had some listed a short time ago and said he thought they were forskalli, the exsact same fish and i mean the exsact same fish.

hopeing he is as it saves me worrieing about haveing to build a pond asap lol.

ATF 007.JPG

ATF 012.JPG

ATF 019.JPG

ATF 020.JPG

ATF 048.JPG

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
no idea my self but some one here should be able to tell you

nice lookin ATF by the way

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
thanks for your input lads.
anybody else care to shed some light?

so what about max size for forskalli? i see a couple of different opinions. i read there the same as vittatus or there smaller then brevis.

in my own opinion i can say that this fish is nothing like the vittatus i have owned in the past. ive had three and the head shape/size is tottaly differrent, body is so much more slender and the jaw is shorter and more rounder. the teeth also seem fewer but more pronounced at this small size.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
doesnt look like vittatus.
not goliath.
doesnt really look like brevis,but i cant be sure.
but i dont know what forskalli looks like.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I wanna say Forskalii, over Brevis. Here's some pics I found researching myself a week ago. Bought an atf as vittatus and found out it was Forskalii.

list is in order as Brevis, Forskalii, Goliath and Vittatus. Yours is either brevis or forskalii, I'm saying it's Forskalii.

atf hydrocynus forskahlii.jpg

atf hydrocynus vittatus.jpg

Attachments

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
yer im still thinking forskalli my self.

in 2 minds wether to order another 2 and have a shole of 3 and get a few other cheaper fish to make up the numbers.

im happy its forskalli though we dont see manny here in the uk, well we dont really see that manny vittatus ither but this is the first ive seen of these.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store