Atrius Jordani aggresion

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
That big 'silver-tip shark' I've talked about just beat my oscar to death.... :shakehead

So much for them being "community fish." So much for oscars being "aggresive fish" for that matter.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
i never have thought of oscars as being aggressive...

how big was the silver tip compared to the oscar, and how large was the tank?

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
the silver tip is about 6" the oscar was about the same, but of course larger, as the oscar is a deeper and thicker fish. They lived in a 60 gal.

The silver tip had always left the oscar alone unless it got too close, but the last month or so the silver tip has been chasing everything that moves. My guess is the oscar thought it was too tough to back down... whoops.

The bright side of the train wreck is that my impulse buy arowana is now living in that tank. He was cooped up in a 10 gal. Since he stays at the top of the tank, he and the silver tip haven't had any run-ins just yet, hopefully things stay that way.

Of course I'm getting a bigger tank for the aro soon.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
I did think of oscars as 'aggressive' mostly because they were in the 'aggressive' area of the petco I worked at. After owning one for a little while I personally don't consider them agressive anymore either.

As for the silver tip - there was also a 2" senegal in that tank, he mysteriously disappeared a while ago...I had suspected the oscar - now I've changed my mind.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
I have never considered oscars to be aggresive. They have gained an aggresive rep from non cichlid keepers because they see them eating feeders and chasing each other. They are just bullies who use size to scare other fish. But when the other fish stands up for its self its sinnara oscar.

I recently had a 9" oscar who constantly bullied a 7" texas cichlid. It was quite surprising as most texas cichlids easily dominate oscars even if they are larger. Well guess what I found in their tank 2 days ago? A thrashed oscar and a texas in perfect conditon. Many similar occurances happen all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store