Aurantimaculata sexing please

Atrox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2023
Hello, i have 3 auranti, cant figure out if they are male or female, please help

06DCE659-7EBD-46EA-B5C2-A32E7EF6088E.jpeg

1B30770A-D7B9-43DE-B4BC-890D074063B7.jpeg

Atrox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2023
Top Right male, Bottom is female.

not sure about top left but im leaning towards male
Hi there, thx a lot for helping
How certain are you about the male and female? Because I have had a lot of different answers ☺
kind regards

AudioPsycho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2023
I have 2 Auranti. Looking at the under side, which one has 1 hole is the female, 2 holes is male. But i can say the appearance can help you identify better.

in the 1st photo, the right one is male since the end of the head is higher and the color is more intense, while the body form is not bulky built like the one on the right. I hope my comment can help you out. And the 2nd photo is showing a female.

Atrox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2023
I have 2 Auranti. Looking at the under side, which one has 1 hole is the female, 2 holes is male. But i can say the appearance can help you identify better.

in the 1st photo, the right one is male since the end of the head is higher and the color is more intense, while the body form is not bulky built like the one on the right. I hope my comment can help you out. And the 2nd photo is showing a female.
Hello

So, to be sure. 1st photo is male on the right and female on the left, and 2nd photo is a female?

thank you very much

kind regards

Atrox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2023

I also have these two auranti, they are hard to get a good picture of as they are shy, and not showing off like the others, can you identify anything from these two photos? Thanks againFC8E7B9A-8314-439D-9250-13EDD33E4408.jpeg6F236215-FF57-4FCF-8E67-4F93E89065FF.jpeg

AudioPsycho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2023
Hello

So, to be sure. 1st photo is male on the right and female on the left, and 2nd photo is a female?

thank you very much

kind regards

Yes, brother.

But please remember, they can be mate, but cant be sure if they breed. If you put 2 of them in a tank and they live in peace, they are probably male and female. I used to make a mistake of putting 2 males in the tank and they fight until 1 jumped out the the tank and died.
The one who has longer head shape is the female. The one who has a higher part of the end of the head is a male.

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Aurantis are notoriously hard to sex. The last recent phots are a good example.

Id say the head shape is kind of like a male. Angular, and round full looking cheeks which are used in the mouth brooding stage. but the the color, body, and fin lengths look female to me. The color looks a little more dull, the fin height is short, and the ratio of fin to body is less. Females aren't always that impressive, they dont need to be, they just need to be robust to stalky to acquire the calories / nutrients to produce eggs and egg feed.

Reactions: AudioPsycho

Atrox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2023
from this picture, i might say she is a female. but why you give her so low water level ?
It is two different aurantis
i only put Them in a smaller container to try and get some photos, because they hide a lot in the bigger aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store