Australian lungfish and fancy goldfish together. Is it possible?

Kha

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2015
My house
Hi guys. So i've been wanting to keep fancy goldfish for a good while now. Back then i had bichirs so it's impossible. Set up another tank is a no go since i dont have a lot of space. I sold all of my bichirs and rn i only have my Australian lungfish. He's around 9". Is it possible to keep him with fancy goldfish? Any input would be appreciated!

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I would say no; fancy goldfish are pretty slow swimmers and would probably end up getting eaten by the lungfish

Reactions: Kha

Kha

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2015
My house
. I would say no; fancy goldfish are pretty slow swimmers and would probably end up getting eaten by the lungfish
Thank you for your input. Australian lungfish is not that aggressive compare to other types of lung. Beside if i decided to keep those fancy goldfish will be a lot bigger compare to the lungfish's mouth. What i'm worried about is the cohabitation. Will they be fine together?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you for your input. Australian lungfish is not that aggressive compare to other types of lung. Beside if i decided to keep those fancy goldfish will be a lot bigger compare to the lungfish's mouth. What i'm worried about is the cohabitation. Will they be fine together?
Most likely not. Goldfish are a cold water species while lung fish are a warm water species. Also just because the goldfish is too big to fit in the lungs mouth doesn't mean he won't try. Lastly a lung has incredibly small eyes for a fish it's size meaning it's an ambush predator which will wait for a fish (regardless of size) to swim infront of its mouth and strike, it may not be able to eat the goldfish but it will cause serious damage.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Most likely not. Goldfish are a cold water species while lung fish are a warm water species. Also just because the goldfish is too big to fit in the lungs mouth doesn't mean he won't try. Lastly a lung has incredibly small eyes for a fish it's size meaning it's an ambush predator which will wait for a fish (regardless of size) to swim infront of its mouth and strike, it may not be able to eat the goldfish but it will cause serious damage.
Australian lungfish inhabit waters ranging from 15-25 degrees Celsius.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Australian lungfish inhabit waters ranging from 15-25 degrees Celsius.
Still wouldn't recommend putting a predator in with a fish that can't defend its self. Even if the lung doesn't attack the goldfish that doesn't mean the goldfish won't harm him. But you do you, just don't say you weren't warned.

Reactions: Shadowplec6 and Kha

Kha

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2015
My house
Still wouldn't recommend putting a predator in with a fish that can't defend its self. Even if the lung doesn't attack the goldfish that doesn't mean the goldfish won't harm him. But you do you, just don't say you weren't warned.
That's what i'm afraid. The temperature is not a problem but they might hurt each other. So i guess it's a no go. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store