Australian pellets for stingrays

ray_life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2021
Australia
What are people feeding there stingrays in Australia? I’d like to keep feeding a 50:50 mix of pellets and frozen.

Many of the pellets mentioned in other posts here aren’t readily available in Australia. The only branded option I find is from Hikari either carnivore or massivore.

I’ve recently come across another Australian product with more protein and fat than Hikari - has anyone tried anything different that’s available here?

Reactions: FJB

ray_life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2021
Australia
I currently feed the hilarity gold floating to my American cichlids and was considering adding the sinking to something like hikari carnivore. Not sure if the hikari gold by itself would be a suitable nutritional profile by itself for rays though? The fat content appears quite low.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'll preface this by stating that I know zip about stingrays, so bear with me here...but I wonder if you might try sturgeon pellets. The Sera pellets I can find locally are 43% protein and 12% fat. Sink and don't fall apart. I have been using them for my apurensis cat along with Massivore and North Fin pellets; the fish accepts all three eagerly. The sturgeon pellets...they call the large ones "chips" but they come in smaller granules as well...are a bit cheaper than the other two and for some strange reason are easy to get here. I just like the idea of another option, and feel more comfortable offering some variety.

Reactions: Matteus

ray_life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2021
Australia
Yes Ive been looking at the sera sturgeon chips but as they’re shipped from Europe the postage is about the same as the bucket!
where do you source your sera sturgeon pellets from? Can’t seem to see any online.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Otohime available in bulk and various pellet sizes through bmaqua.com.au. What brand is the other pellet you’ve found? If it’s the one im thinking of you’ll find the ingredients list is identical.

Reactions: RD.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes Ive been looking at the sera sturgeon chips but as they’re shipped from Europe the postage is about the same as the bucket!
where do you source your sera sturgeon pellets from? Can’t seem to see any online.
I am fortunate enough to live very near an outstanding importer/wholesaler/retailer (AFishionados, operated by Spencer Jack) who stocks this item. They do a lot of mail order, and I'm sure could provide you with this product...but then the bucket is travelling from Europe to Canada and then to Australia, so maybe not the best way for you to get a decent price. You probably need to find an importer/retailer in Oz. Good luck!

Maybe try the Sera website, in case they sell direct to the public?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Here’s the one I found. has anyone had experience with this brand?

View attachment 1480258
That brand is from near me. The only manufacturer I’m aware of for fish feed is skretting and the ingredients appear the same as there commercial fish feeds I’d hazard a guess that there skretting pellets re packaged. You may be able to get them direct cheaper.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'll preface this by stating that I know zip about stingrays, so bear with me here...but I wonder if you might try sturgeon pellets. The Sera pellets I can find locally are 43% protein and 12% fat.
IMO captive rays do not require the protein levels found in most commercial sturgeon pellets, and most certainly not fat levels that are typically found in those formulas in the 15%-30% crude fat range.

Here’s the one I found. has anyone had experience with this brand?

View attachment 1480258

I would personally NOT feed that AU brand to a ray. If you do, I would strongly recommend that you feed sparingly.

Again, just MO, but Sera uses a LOT of grains (wheat, corn, etc) in their food, and always have. Old school formulas, not worth their $$$.
I would take a hard look at NLS, Northfin, etc.

Otohime available in bulk and various pellet sizes through bmaqua.com.au. What brand is the other pellet you’ve found? If it’s the one im thinking of you’ll find the ingredients list is identical.
I have recommended this food in the past to folks looking for lower cost bulk alternatives. Never used it, but it seems like a pretty decent feed that can be purchased in large quantities.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store