Auto-fix... the way to go?

Tankfan

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Buda, IL
OK. Here the scoop. i have a group of Protomelas Marginatus and I have been trying to get that really nice clear side profile shot. Its hard to get it since these are so active.

The set up is a 90g tank. I have a current USA 4 lamp fixture on it with T5HO. I have actinic and colormax bulbs in it.

Do these lamps affect the picture even when flash is used?
Do they affect the way your editing program adjusts on Auto-fix?

The reason i ask is that the other day i just basically did a "hailmary" and got this shot:
**(it was also right after a water change)

So i hit the Auto-fix and get this:
**(i used Irfanview)

So, did this program filter out some of the HO lighting and get this result?

I know that different lighting can make a single fish look different. This tank light used above originally came with 2 actnic/2 10K bulbs. I didnt like the look as everything looked "washed out".

Should i keep using the auto fix?

Is that the actual "true color" of this particular fish? Looks pretty sweet though i must say.

ive never had one, (picture), that had so much difference after using the auto-fix as this particular fish/shot.

Chaitika

MFK Moderators
Staff member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
Only you can tell us if the colours in the photo match the actual fish. :)

I'm not familiar with the software program you're using to process your photos.

The actinic lighting or any lighting will impact on how your camera portrays colours based on the White Balance setting you use. You can shoot in RAW and let a program adjust your white balance in your images or you can fiddle with your camera's white balance settings. I may be off base but I think WB may be the issue.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2007
UK
Is that the actual "true color" of this particular fish? Looks pretty sweet though i must say.

if you cant say.... how can we.

personally it looks a little over saturated.

it seems to be a white balance thing, which suggests your shooting JPG, I'd recommend shooting RAW - far easier to correct the WB

stan chung

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Do these lamps affect the picture even when flash is used?
They do if your camera exposure setting[aperture/shutter speed/ISO] allows it. If you decide on an small aperture low ISO- most likely the tank lighting won't matter and everything will be from the flash.
But this will look very hard if the flash is from the front. Top flash lighting is the way to go for a cleaner balance.

In the original shot the ambient tank light affected the water at the top area.

Do they affect the way your editing program adjusts on Auto-fix?
Yes-flash is fairly neutral. The actinics are not. Even your camera WB setting and subject matter may affect it. Especially if there isn't anything that's originally white in the framing. For example Auto Levels in PS will remove the tint from the brightest areas apply it to the rest of the tones and bring up the blacks if it's been overexposed.

The software for sure corrected the WB.
It also tried it's best to kill green by adding red. FWIW, I tried Auto Levels in PS but it did not add as much red or blue.

Agree with Gerry and Ben that only you know what is the original color of the fish!

i just basically did a "hailmary"
Funny expression-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store