Autodrip Overflow - Please Help

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Come to think of it an up-turned, threaded elbow (hose barb are cheap and easy to find) cut to the water level you want may be the better way to go vs the strainer. You will be able to adjust your water level by screwing in elbows cut to various heights.I to that on the inside of my sumps. Essentially it is a standpipe like you would see on the inside of an overflow. Just an itty bitty one

Reactions: millerkid519

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
If I do a slip on low profile strainer I can remove it easily can't i, and then try the elbow like you are saying?

For now, my tank only has an aimara wolf fish as an occupant, and I have no plants. I will have ecocomplete and maybe a piece of driftwood, so the chance of blockage is actually very small. I was thinking about doing 2 1/2 holes on opposite ends of the tank instead of 1 in the middle. This will help me if the tank is not perfectly level, and if one clogs over time. Thoughts on that?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 sorry to bombard with questions but are the links below examples of the quick disconnect you suggested? Where would you put it? At the top just off the elbow or at hte bottom?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/male-thread-cam-lever-quick-connect-adapter-f.html#tab-full-details

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/female-thread-cam-lever-quick-connect-coupling-d.html
Something like this but a male thread x hose barb. There is another example of how I have an old sump. Not running anymore but you get the idea.

IMG_6106.JPG IMG_6110.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
JK47 JK47 and Bigfishnut Bigfishnut lost track of this thread. Second daughter was just born so I was busy :)

Here is what I'm thinking based on feedback.
- will do 2 drains on opposite end of the tank
- low profile threaded drain
- bulkhead threaded on both sides
- union put directly on bulkhead and then 90 elbow followed by union

I have not decided if I will join the two drains or keep separated yet. Still need to decide on tubing or pvc directly after elbows.

Thoughts?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 and Bigfishnut Bigfishnut lost track of this thread. Second daughter was just born so I was busy :)

Here is what I'm thinking based on feedback.
- will do 2 drains on opposite end of the tank
- low profile threaded drain
- bulkhead threaded on both sides
- union put directly on bulkhead and then 90 elbow followed by union

I have not decided if I will join the two drains or keep separated yet. Still need to decide on tubing or pvc directly after elbows.

Thoughts?
Congrats on the new family member! Are you trying to screw the union directly on the outside of the bulkhead? If so the thread pattern is different. I would do bulkhead > elbow > union. Unless I am missing why the union is so close to the next.

The drainage plumbing can be split or combined. Either will work. I would think that combining them into one single exit would be the simplest approach.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Congrats on the new family member! Are you trying to screw the union directly on the outside of the bulkhead? If so the thread pattern is different. I would do bulkhead > elbow > union. Unless I am missing why the union is so close to the next.

The drainage plumbing can be split or combined. Either will work. I would think that combining them into one single exit would be the simplest approach.
I saw a vid where they recommended doing union on bulkhead so that you have flexibility with the bulkhead. I guess I misunderstood. I wanted the ability to adjust any connection made onto the bulkhead.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I saw a vid where they recommended doing union on bulkhead so that you have flexibility with the bulkhead. I guess I misunderstood. I wanted the ability to adjust any connection made onto the bulkhead.
I see. Yeah skip that particular union as it won't be helpful. Since you are threaded you have that flexibility permanently since it requires tape not cement.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I see. Yeah skip that particular union as it won't be helpful. Since you are threaded you have that flexibility permanently since it requires tape not cement.
Thank you. Looks like I'm going with schedule 80 also. More durable and all if the parts for schedule 80 are in black on BRS versus lots if searching.

Any advice on connecting the two drains? I was thinking of just using tubing instead connected to a T instead of worrying about getting perfect measurements with pvc. Do I need to increase the size of tubing when I join the two drains or will 1/2in handle it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store